Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 28th May 2017, 01:10 PM   #1901
BrianDonegan is offline BrianDonegan  United States
diyAudio Member

Buffalo II
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinku View Post
Tried it.No change.The LED on AVCC board turned off when I did that. Still no sound.
Removing the firmware chip made the AVCC led go off? That should not happen... They are totally unrelated. Sounds like you might have some bad solder joints.
Old 28th May 2017, 06:58 PM   #1902
Salar is offline Salar  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Er, sorry, l already mailed you some. You should have received an automatic shipping email...
S..t, i have changed my email-address since 2010.
Thanks anyway,
Salar
Old 30th May 2017, 12:58 PM   #1903
kinku is offline kinku  United States
diyAudio Member

Buffalo II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDonegan View Post
Removing the firmware chip made the AVCC led go off? That should not happen... They are totally unrelated. Sounds like you might have some bad solder joints.
Brian I checked to make sure it is happening .
Yes the LED on AVCc went off and came back on after few minutes.
What can I do to solder the cold joints again?
Old 30th May 2017, 08:26 PM   #1904
avr300 is offline avr300  Denmark
diyAudio Member

This is getting interesting. How about creating the case here:

Twisted Pear Audio Support

and add some good sharp pictures of the build.
Old 20th August 2017, 07:24 PM   #1905
mikelm is offline mikelm  England
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mikelm
Hi Russ & Brian,

Been enjoying the buffalo II DAC for long time now but now am exploring options for optimising the PSU arrangements.

Is it possible to have completely separate digital & analogue supplies & ground planes & also have completely separate supplies for the L & R channels ?

Or do I have to have a different DAC for each channel to give this kind of separation.

I am stuggling to find schematic & PCB layout - could you help with that ?

I attach a pic to show you the regulator boards I have at present. I am using a single placid supply at present.

Any advice you may have to get the very best from this buffalo DAC would be welcome.

thanks

mike mears

p.s. I am trying to prevent any noise on the digital ground polluting the analogue grounds & likewise between the two analogue channels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170820_163727.jpg (403.9 KB, 232 views)

Last edited by mikelm; 20th August 2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 5th November 2017, 06:48 AM   #1906
Nikon1975 is offline Nikon1975  Austria
diyAudio Member

Dear All,

I have a Buffalo II board that I have been using for long. Yesterday I noticed that the left channel had a lower volume than the right. Indeed, while I get 3V out of the right channel, I get 160 mV out of the left. The phases are exactly the same amplitude.
I am suspecting that some of the internal DACs of the chip died. I also measured the voltage out of the board and I get 46 mV for the right channel and 38 mV for the left.

Any hint ? Do I have to find a new board ?

Thanks,

Davide
Old 5th November 2017, 09:11 AM   #1907
Nikon1975 is offline Nikon1975  Austria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon1975 View Post
Dear All,

I have a Buffalo II board that I have been using for long. Yesterday I noticed that the left channel had a lower volume than the right. Indeed, while I get 3V out of the right channel, I get 160 mV out of the left. The phases are exactly the same amplitude.
I am suspecting that some of the internal DACs of the chip died. I also measured the voltage out of the board and I get 46 mV for the right channel and 38 mV for the left.

Any hint ? Do I have to find a new board ?

Thanks,

Davide
False alarm, it's something strange in the analog part.

D.
Old 1st December 2017, 08:35 AM   #1908
Malefoda is offline Malefoda  France
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Malefoda
I wonder if long time users of BII, maybe 80MHz ones, are still up and running, of course now and then someone with a problem shows up, cooling, solder joint or builder related mistake, but in the end how many are just enjoing their DAC?
Old 1st December 2017, 12:16 PM   #1909
francolargo is offline francolargo  United States
diyAudio Member

My BII was reliable and enjoyable for many years without fail.

Part of a hobby in audio, not to mention the DIY mindset, is to be curious about and seek meaningful upgrades. So the BII was eventually replaced by 3 BIIIs plus a BBB/Hermes/Cronus. That was a serious improvement! Now the new ESS pro chips are shaking things up again and I will be testing one soon. For me there is enjoyment in the projects and building, not only in savoring the fruits of that ‘labor’ - the marvelous music!
Old 1st December 2017, 12:43 PM   #1910
Duffy Moon is offline Duffy Moon  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefoda View Post
I wonder if long time users of BII, maybe 80MHz ones, are still up and running, of course now and then someone with a problem shows up, cooling, solder joint or builder related mistake, but in the end how many are just enjoing their DAC?
My dual-mono BIIs worked fine for a while, until I tried installing BBB/Hermes/Cronus. I wanted to control the hardware volume via ALSA. I could never get it to work, it just played one channel on both DACs. Then I ruined the pads/pins on the boards trying to reconnect Volumite, which no longer seemed to work. So the whole, expensive lot sits gathering dust. I now just use an old Samsung Q1 Ultra connected to a Cambridge Audio DAC XS.

Buffalo IIHide this!Advertise here!