Old 2nd November 2012, 07:31 PM   #1801
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info Brian.
Old 3rd November 2012, 10:48 AM   #1802
Goto is offline Goto  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4est View Post
Does the exa have spdif out in so that you can compare directly? Here I have compared it directly with the i2s and spdif outs on both the Loriens WaveIO and M2Tech Evo. On both accounts, i2s was s definite step up and worth the effort. Not night and day, but certainly one step closer. Interestingly, the spdif switch on the BII doesn't change a thing. Maybe I just misunderstand it.
Hi

The EXA does not offer SPDIF output (nothing to be gained there). I used a modded Hiface spdif interface as my benchmark. It was pretty good, but the USB/I2S was always likely to beat it. The only slight downside of the Exa is the proprietary ASIO driver which limits (but not hugely) the software players I can use with the Exa. Jplay and XXHighend (whatever you might think of those) are not supportable.

I am about to revisit my aging B24 with the Hiface and build that up to working again for headphone use. It'll give me some options to play with.

Mark
Old 3rd November 2012, 08:29 PM   #1803
4est is offline 4est  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goto View Post
Hi
Jplay and XXHighend (whatever you might think of those) are not supportable.
Mark
Sadly, very highly of XXHighend, and the lack of drivers takes it off of the table for now. I am interested in a 4 channel i2s solution to use for biamping, and am open to suggestions.

Thank you Mark!
Old 29th November 2012, 05:00 AM   #1804
diyAudio Member

So I picked up a exadevices USB to I2S card. Planning on using it in a four channel configuration with two Buffalo's. Can the volumite control the volume correctly in a four channel setup using two boards if one board has the address header shorted? Or, are there other bits of code in the firmware that makes it only work for dual mono?

That is, if I short one boards address header, and keep both boards DIP sw1 set to on for stereo, will the volumite correctly set the volume of both Buffalo's?
Old 4th December 2012, 05:15 PM   #1805
diyAudio Member

Anyone know the part number/manufacturer of the male 3-pin header for the Buffalo II board? TP sell the female part in the parts bin, but I need the male.
Old 4th December 2012, 05:18 PM   #1806
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy Moon View Post
Anyone know the part number/manufacturer of the male 3-pin header for the Buffalo II board? TP sell the female part in the parts bin, but I need the male.
I buy generic (gold plated) 0.1" (2.54mm) headers and break them into 3-pin pieces.
Old 4th December 2012, 05:21 PM   #1807
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDonegan View Post
I buy generic (gold plated) 0.1" (2.54mm) headers and break them into 3-pin pieces.
I'm not sure what height they are.

Something like this?

BBL-103-G-F Samtec Inc | SAM1001-03-ND | DigiKey
Old 4th December 2012, 05:27 PM   #1808
diyAudio Member

68000-236HLF FCI | 609-3465-ND | DigiKey
Old 4th December 2012, 05:35 PM   #1809
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDonegan View Post
Awesome, thanks Brian. On the subject of parts, one of my regulators seems to be borked. I don't know which. Maybe I should just replace all?

They seem to be LT1763CS8-3.3/LT1763IS8-3.3 and LT1763CS8/LT1763IS8 (not sure what the difference is between I and C).

Maybe easier to use Tridents? Or try replacing and use Tridents if my soldering isn't up to it?

Perhaps a kindly soul will sell me some of their old Tridents.

Last edited by Duffy Moon; 4th December 2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 19th December 2012, 12:11 PM   #1810
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I have a serious problem with my new waveio and BII.

When playing music (sound quality is phantastic) from time to time the DAC Buffalo II is probaly loosing lock (lock led it turning off sometimes for a moment) and some digital noise, something like a noise wave and digital distortion appears for 1 or 2 seconds, than there is a music again, sometimes the noise wave is followed by silence (BII is muting ?) Sometimes it is every 5-20 seconds. It is similar to fm noise, not very loud.

1. It is not a power supply issue - i tried three different power supplies for waveio. The Twisted Pear Placid ps is set for 5.1V/420mA/80mA shunt. I tried also voltage between 4.9 and 5.3, higher current until 650mA, no change. Measured voltage and current when playing music, voltage is absolutely stable, current is changing a little depending on file format. Used two different multimeters. Waveio is consuming around ~380mA.

2. It is not a problem of the source - the behaviour is absolutely the same with Windows XP and W7 notebooks and Squeezebox Touch with Triode plugins.

3. It is not depending on the file format - it happens when playing internet radio, 16/44.1, 24/88, 24/96 or mp3 files.

4. I checked all connections many times, checked uFl cables, tried different earthing arrangements.

5. i2s connection is OK, checked many times for some broken cable, bad connection, moved cables while playing music, etc. The fourth ufl cable (MCLK) on the picture is just used for the ground connection, only the screen of the cable is connected to gnd on the BII digital input. I also tried separate ground cable from H4 on waveio to gnd on BII digital input, no change.

6. I have impression, that when waveio is cold, than the problems are not so present, later when it becomes warmer, than this waves of digital noise are appearing more frequently.

7. Tried different usb cables - shorter, longer, with&without ferrit clamps, tried three different usb hubs (not necessary) powered and unpowered. All USB 2.0.

8. When i am connecting Buffalo DAC just to one spdif source - SBT or cd drive, than DAC it is working perfect (since nearly two years) without any issues.

On the picture you can see my setup :

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

I bought my BII in February 2011 and it was delivered in April 2012.

Is there a possibility, that i need new firmware for my beloved BII ?

I will be very thankfull for any help, i really have no idea what is wrong.

Hide this!Advertise here!