Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 5th January 2012, 12:56 PM   #1701
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
What's Sidecar?
It's a BIII accessory:

Sidecar, which is used for switching between S/PDIF inputs and PCM(I2S) or DSD inputs. The module is daisy chained between the S/PDIF receiver (above) and the Buffalo-III. By applying 5VDC to the Trigger header, the relays switch between the S/PDIF inputs and the inputs on the PCM/DSD header, and then to the Buffalo-III. Please note that this module supports only stereo PCM and DSD signals.
Old 5th January 2012, 01:07 PM   #1702
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post
You can't use Sidecar with BII, that's the reason I bought the BIII
then, that I have to use for Bii?.
If the sidecar is what I need, I can manually apply 5v with a switch. Is that it?
Old 5th January 2012, 06:04 PM   #1703
LeonvB is offline LeonvB  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is there any real benefit of BIIIs in dual mono vs BIIs?
It depends. The added cost of the BIII (and the benefit) lies most of all in the Trident regulators.

If you don't have those on the BII, I'd add them. IMO it's a more efficient way of spending money than blindly adding a second DAC.

If you already have the Tridents, it becomes another question. You could strip the Tridents off the BII, and use them on the BIII. This lowers your cost of upgrading. Reinsert the beads and you have a functioning BII you can sell, plus a set of Tridents to use for a single BIII.
Old 6th January 2012, 02:29 PM   #1704
diyAudio Member

Default Question

Is there simple way to divide 1.2v VDD into digital and analogue ones, except
lifting DAC IC's pin or cutting pattern?
Old 6th January 2012, 03:09 PM   #1705
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
No, and there would be no good reason to do so anyway. All the analog 1.2V supply does is drive the gates of the level shifters.
Old 6th January 2012, 03:27 PM   #1706
diyAudio Member

I understand.

Just I was thinking about separating PSU for ES9018's digital and analogue sections like VCCs.

thanks!
Old 7th January 2012, 09:04 AM   #1707
diyAudio Member

Default BII tube/legato v3

Happy New Year!

I have my project almost over. I have a prototipo mounted in a wooden box. It's a buffalo II DAC with selectable output stage between tube and legato v.3. This change is with a switch. I have used panasonic tq2 relays to make the change.

The relays off (no power) give way to LEGATO. The signal path between dac and legato is 4cm.

The relays on (with power) give way to tube-i-Zator. The signal path is 8-10 cm.

At the moment I have a little more length in the cables and they are somewhat messy, until the final place in the box. All signal cables are silver.

I have used shunt regulators for all power supplies. 2X tridents and a shunt regulator for the clock. Some Russian PIO capacitors and bypass ft3. When placed in the final box I put Mundorf silver in oil in output valves and some resistance Texas Instruments.

The DAC is controlled by arduino. I'm yet to put a usb-i2s interfece. Russ / Brian for when we have the usb-i2s xmos?. At the moment it is connected by toslink. My source is a MacMini.

The sound is fantastic. At the moment I do not find differences with the version without relays
The pictures are made with a mobile phone.

Sorry for my bad English.

Click the image to open in full size.

A design image for the box and the front. It will be a chassis with 10mm front modu.it

Regards

Al
Old 9th January 2012, 08:18 AM   #1708
diyAudio Member

Here is my finished build. No arduino. Atmega16 based controller and the board is my own design. Remote control, Em14 encoder for volume/balance and PWM supplying the LCD backlight for brightness adjustment.

Inside pics can be found from the link. Volume control is not yet implemented in the inside pics as they are so old. Volume knob is attached to the encoder with a 7mm bar going through two ball bearings to get that "high-end feel". Also the encoder was not enough to support the weight of the knob by itself.

http://amattsso.1g.fi/kuvat/Audio/DSC_8643_.jpg/
Old 9th January 2012, 12:16 PM   #1709
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertob View Post
Happy New Year!

I have my project almost over. I have a prototipo mounted in a wooden box. It's a buffalo II DAC with selectable output stage between tube and legato v.3. This change is with a switch. I have used panasonic tq2 relays to make the change.

The relays off (no power) give way to LEGATO. The signal path between dac and legato is 4cm.

The relays on (with power) give way to tube-i-Zator. The signal path is 8-10 cm.

At the moment I have a little more length in the cables and they are somewhat messy, until the final place in the box. All signal cables are silver.

I have used shunt regulators for all power supplies. 2X tridents and a shunt regulator for the clock. Some Russian PIO capacitors and bypass ft3. When placed in the final box I put Mundorf silver in oil in output valves and some resistance Texas Instruments.

The DAC is controlled by arduino. I'm yet to put a usb-i2s interfece. Russ / Brian for when we have the usb-i2s xmos?. At the moment it is connected by toslink. My source is a MacMini.

The sound is fantastic. At the moment I do not find differences with the version without relays
The pictures are made with a mobile phone.

Sorry for my bad English.

A design image for the box and the front. It will be a chassis with 10mm front modu.it

Regards

Al
Interesting! Nice build!

Cheers!
Russ
Old 9th January 2012, 12:16 PM   #1710
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksi M View Post
Here is my finished build. No arduino. Atmega16 based controller and the board is my own design. Remote control, Em14 encoder for volume/balance and PWM supplying the LCD backlight for brightness adjustment.

Inside pics can be found from the link. Volume control is not yet implemented in the inside pics as they are so old. Volume knob is attached to the encoder with a 7mm bar going through two ball bearings to get that "high-end feel". Also the encoder was not enough to support the weight of the knob by itself.

http://amattsso.1g.fi/kuvat/Audio/DSC_8643_.jpg/
Nice build! Very DIY - very cool! I really like the panel.

Hide this!Advertise here!