• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Russ & Brian,

Been enjoying the buffalo II DAC for long time now but now am exploring options for optimising the PSU arrangements.

Is it possible to have completely separate digital & analogue supplies & ground planes & also have completely separate supplies for the L & R channels ?

Or do I have to have a different DAC for each channel to give this kind of separation.

I am stuggling to find schematic & PCB layout - could you help with that ?

I attach a pic to show you the regulator boards I have at present. I am using a single placid supply at present.

Any advice you may have to get the very best from this buffalo DAC would be welcome.

thanks

mike mears

p.s. I am trying to prevent any noise on the digital ground polluting the analogue grounds & likewise between the two analogue channels.

Attachments

• 20170820_163727.jpg
    20170820_163727.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Dear All,

I have a Buffalo II board that I have been using for long. Yesterday I noticed that the left channel had a lower volume than the right. Indeed, while I get 3V out of the right channel, I get 160 mV out of the left. The phases are exactly the same amplitude.
I am suspecting that some of the internal DACs of the chip died. I also measured the voltage out of the board and I get 46 mV for the right channel and 38 mV for the left.

Any hint ? Do I have to find a new board ?

Thanks,

Davide

Dear All,

I have a Buffalo II board that I have been using for long. Yesterday I noticed that the left channel had a lower volume than the right. Indeed, while I get 3V out of the right channel, I get 160 mV out of the left. The phases are exactly the same amplitude.
I am suspecting that some of the internal DACs of the chip died. I also measured the voltage out of the board and I get 46 mV for the right channel and 38 mV for the left.

Any hint ? Do I have to find a new board ?

Thanks,

Davide

False alarm, it's something strange in the analog part.

D.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
My BII was reliable and enjoyable for many years without fail.

Part of a hobby in audio, not to mention the DIY mindset, is to be curious about and seek meaningful upgrades. So the BII was eventually replaced by 3 BIIIs plus a BBB/Hermes/Cronus. That was a serious improvement! Now the new ESS pro chips are shaking things up again and I will be testing one soon. For me there is enjoyment in the projects and building, not only in savoring the fruits of that ‘labor’ - the marvelous music! :)

I wonder if long time users of BII, maybe 80MHz ones, are still up and running, of course now and then someone with a problem shows up, cooling, solder joint or builder related mistake, but in the end how many are just enjoing their DAC?
My dual-mono BIIs worked fine for a while, until I tried installing BBB/Hermes/Cronus. I wanted to control the hardware volume via ALSA. I could never get it to work, it just played one channel on both DACs. Then I ruined the pads/pins on the boards trying to reconnect Volumite, which no longer seemed to work. So the whole, expensive lot sits gathering dust. I now just use an old Samsung Q1 Ultra connected to a Cambridge Audio DAC XS.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.