Buffalo II - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 8th March 2010, 09:35 PM   #121
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
It was a bit better than -108db, but not much.
Old 8th March 2010, 09:49 PM   #122
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
I got the COD running portable BTW, sounds really nice and i'm surprised it doesnt get more attention. only running it single ended though as dac only because I started the research for a decent volume control then you announced the b32v2 and this made the volumite a possibility.

also thanks for the info, that will come in quite handy
Your welcome.

Here is my recommendation. Use a split supply. Tie VOCM to 0V and bypass at the supply pins well (to 0v thus the need for split supplies). The other possibility while it will work could pose other challenges you may not be wanting to tackle.

Maintaining the batteries charge is up to you. I don't have a great solution for that.

I fully agree about the COD. It actually measures nearly as well as the Buffalo when used with the IVY-III.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 9th March 2010, 04:33 AM   #123
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

thanks yeah I have some rail splitters too, need to 'ground' the case somehow really, i'm up for challenges though, if theres a payoff at the end its all good with me. I have a massive pile of schematics I need to start bread boarding soon, will probably use an addition or or just a similar circuit to the charge circuit/rail splitter for the PPAv2 on tangents site. contacted battery world about a couple of custom battery pacs (yes split) a couple of weeks ago, yet to hear back from them yet.

doesnt surprise me about the COD, finished a second one yesterday too so wil platy around with some output stages while I wait for the b32v2. currently enamored with a mixed feedback schematic by jung that uses output transformers inside the feedback loop and takes the best of both worlds.

oh and as far as bypassing, no need to worry about tghat, if anything i'll probably get a bit carried away with it. got some nice wima and evox/rifa SMD PPS and PET films I was planning on using for everything although I also have enough ceramics i'm keen on doing the whole thing with films.

Last edited by qusp; 9th March 2010 at 04:36 AM.
Old 9th March 2010, 07:43 AM   #124
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
Sorry, but this is not correct.

The benefit of current mode (ultra low impedance) is that the voltage the DAC outputs see does not change with current, it does not modulate, so the outputs of the DAC stay where they always are. They always see the same bias voltage. This is why performance is better. It also makes it so that thermal effects are spread evenly.

Cheers!
Russ
Russ, that makes a lot of sense now. I was trying to make sense of footnote 16 of the white paper where it says current mode "cancels" an on chip voltage coefficient. I understood that as for example the on chip resistor has positive voltage coefficient, then the off chip resistors would have negative voltage coefficient and thus they would cancel. But if in current mode, the voltage stays constant, then there is no effect of voltage coefficient on the on chip resistors
Old 9th March 2010, 01:14 PM   #125
housing is offline housing  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hi Russ,

Will Spencer's Jfet IV stage work with Buffalo II?

Jfet IV with regulator pcb for sale

Thanks.
Old 9th March 2010, 09:57 PM   #126
HaLo6 is offline HaLo6  United States
diyAudio Member

Has anyone compared the B32 to the BII? I wouldn't imagine that there shouldnt really be a need to switch is there? Is the performance delta between the two significant?
Old 9th March 2010, 10:13 PM   #127
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

I don't think anybody besides Russ and Brian have listened to the Buff II yet so your question is a bit difficult to answer. Certainly the Buff II is way more tweaking friendly than B32S and the new IVY III may also be very interesting.

Last edited by NicMac; 9th March 2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 9th March 2010, 10:15 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaLo6 View Post
Has anyone compared the B32 to the BII? I wouldn't imagine that there shouldnt really be a need to switch is there? Is the performance delta between the two significant?
I don't think anyone has a BII yet (apart from Russ & Brian) to make the comparison.
Personally, if I had a B32 already I don't think I'd bother switching.

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, I'm an impoverished student so you could just send it to me
Old 9th March 2010, 10:17 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicMac View Post
I don't think anybody besides Russ and Brian have listened to the Buff II yet so your question is a bit difficult to answer. Certainly the Buff II is way more tweaking friendly and the new IVY III may also be very interesting.
Beat me to it! You made me look a fool! The fact that I am a fool is neither here nor there.
Old 9th March 2010, 10:19 PM   #130
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy Moon View Post
Beat me to it! You made me look a fool! The fact that I am a fool is neither here nor there.
Well - I might have a B32S for sale soon......

Hide this!Advertise here!