Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 18th February 2011, 09:32 PM   #1131
diyAudio Member

Is the sound of Buffalo DAC more on the bright side, or it is a warm sounding dac ?
Old 18th February 2011, 10:37 PM   #1132
diyAudio Member

Default Well...

You cannot really listen to the Buffalo II DAC without power supplies, and an I/V stage. How the entire DAC is built will influence the overall tonality. Saying a given build would be "bright" or "warm" would be a gross over simplification.
I will say this, a well built B-II DAC, with the Legato II I/V stage, with good parts, makes for a very detailed and neutral sound. If one is looking for a DAC which covers up and blurs details, in order to make bad sounding digital recordings smoother, this is probably not the DAC for you. If you are looking for a DAC to get the best out of decent recordings, then build a really good B-II and enjoy it.
Old 19th February 2011, 04:57 AM   #1133
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
a well built B-II DAC, with the Legato II I/V stage, with good parts, makes for a very detailed and neutral sound. If one is looking for a DAC which covers up and blurs details, in order to make bad sounding digital recordings smoother, this is probably not the DAC for you. If you are looking for a DAC to get the best out of decent recordings, then build a really good B-II and enjoy it.
+1
Old 19th February 2011, 06:53 AM   #1134
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Two clocks vs one

Maybe this has been covered before. I noticed that both Wavelength and Calyx DACs use two clocks for different sets of sampling frequencies. Any reason the Buffalo doesn't use two clocks?
Old 19th February 2011, 07:03 AM   #1135
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
You cannot really listen to the Buffalo II DAC without power supplies, and an I/V stage.
I will say this, a well built B-II DAC, with the Legato II I/V stage, with good parts, makes for a very detailed and neutral sound.
I'm now listening to Buffalo II differential output directly with a tweaked Etymotic Research ER-4S earphone (variable resister and balanced wiring instead of original fixed resisters and single-end wiring. If the VR is set to zero, approximately 5 ohm impedance of the raw driver is available) using four UM-1 alkaline batteries as a power supply. No I/V stage is required on this configuration.
(In this case, a maximum level of raw output can be changed to some extent by changing the "quantizer bit length" parameter of ES9018.)

I'd like to completely agree with barrows' impression, "very detailed and neutral".
Old 19th February 2011, 09:59 AM   #1136
LeonvB is offline LeonvB  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Any reason the Buffalo doesn't use two clocks?
That's simply because there's no relation of the DAC clock to the incoming signal. The Sabre chips monitor the input, and sample it at a much higher frequency. From the changes in the signal, they derive the sample rate and the values of the input. This is done for all types of input: SPDIF, I2S and DSD. This is described in the Sabre white paper (http://www.esstech.com/PDF/sabrewp.pdf).
Old 19th February 2011, 01:53 PM   #1137
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonvB View Post
That's simply because there's no relation of the DAC clock to the incoming signal. The Sabre chips monitor the input, and sample it at a much higher frequency. From the changes in the signal, they derive the sample rate and the values of the input. This is done for all types of input: SPDIF, I2S and DSD. This is described in the Sabre white paper (http://www.esstech.com/PDF/sabrewp.pdf).
I imagine it would still be better to have two clocks.
Old 19th February 2011, 02:13 PM   #1138
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally Posted by labjr View Post
On what basis?

There is no technical reason why this would be true. This is because of the extremely high re-sample rate. The final sample rate with a 100Mhz clock is 1.5625Mhz. That rate is fundamentally unrelated to either 44.1 or 48Khz based sample rates. That is both intentional and desirable.

Last edited by Russ White; 19th February 2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 19th February 2011, 02:15 PM   #1139
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Maybe this has been covered before. I noticed that both Wavelength and Calyx DACs use two clocks for different sets of sampling frequencies. Any reason the Buffalo doesn't use two clocks?
The only practical reason I can think of is because we are using the jitter eliminator (ASRC) feature and they are not.

McIntosh does the same thing. Only they use a PLL.

I on the other hand much prefer to let the ASRC work.
Old 19th February 2011, 02:18 PM   #1140
diyAudio Member

Quote:
LeonVB is right, any DAC using an ASRC needs only one clock.

If a DAC is using a high quality phase locked loop, then two clocks may be required.

Hide this!Advertise here!