Buffalo II - Page 101 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 23rd November 2010, 05:46 PM   #1001
LeonvB is offline LeonvB  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

It depends on the load. For a Placid powering just a plain BII, it'll likely be enough to use a 10VA. The BP + Legato fi. uses more power, and for that it sounds like a bad idea.
Old 27th November 2010, 02:04 PM   #1002
christ is offline christ  Poland
diyAudio Member

Hi Russ,
I would like to change Buf I (lapizied) with exchanged 9008 chip to 9018 chip
into Dual mono Buf II. BUT I would like to make sure there is not a problem to
have tubes in power section and at the output with BUf II.
Is the Buf II board simmilar to Buf I board in terms of possible lampizition process?
Christ
Old 8th December 2010, 09:53 AM   #1003
JonPike is offline JonPike  United States
diyAudio Member

Off the wall question...

I and a friend of mine, both have the first Buffalo kits. Mine has been happily running since I finished the build. My friend built his, and it did not work.

He brought it over, I checked voltages, looked for soldering mistakes, etc... nothing. Then, I pulled my firmware/processor chip out and put it in his. TADA!! It Lives... Put his chip in my Buffalo, nothing.

So, looks like he either got a unprogrammed PIC, or it got spiked with ESD while he was handling it, etc. He emailed once or twice, didnt' get a response, (think it was around Brian's move) and hasn't bugged you guys further.

Rather than wait for him to get over his own problem in not bugging you further, I was thinking of using a PIC programming kit and buying the $1-2 part, and copying mine onto a new blank. Only thing I'm worrying about, is there a copy protect on those particular PIC's, and did you use it?

There, now do I know how to take a long time to get around to a question, or what?

Thanks...
Old 8th December 2010, 10:39 AM   #1004
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
No we did not use any copy protection on the PIC.

You should be able to copy it. If you like I can even send you the old hex files.

Not that I mind, but this thread is about the Buffalo II, any further conversation about this really should go in the old buffalo thread (just scroll down a bit from our forum index). Actually we can probably handle the rest over email.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 9th December 2010, 12:33 AM   #1005
JonPike is offline JonPike  United States
diyAudio Member

Great!

Yeah, I got here from a link, didn't know there was an active B-1 thread. I might copy it over there for posterity, it might help someone.

I'll send you my address.
Old 11th December 2010, 04:27 PM   #1006
diyAudio Member

Hey guys, if i want to add a mux , and a TOSLINK module, do i need an extra power supply except the placid and the placid BP ?
Old 11th December 2010, 05:50 PM   #1007
diyAudio Member

No, you could put DAC, Mux & Toslink on one Placid
Old 12th December 2010, 08:03 AM   #1008
diyAudio Member

Tnx
Old 12th December 2010, 07:35 PM   #1009
diyAudio Member

i am waiting for my new-year shipment, consisting of a Buffalo and IVY 3 and some Placids, i prefer a solid powerpack so im gonna run 3 Placids for the IVY (and one for the Dac)

i know the question have been asked before but since im planning to use 4 Placids would it be best to put the Placids in a separate case?
if you recommend putting everything in one box, how far apart must the Placids be from the DAC / IVY and signal lines
If i put the Placids in a separate case, wirering will be longer (probably 1,5ft - 2ft long) but i am planning to use some very good Silkspeak 4mm2 cable to connect the Placids and the IVY / Buffalo.

Ideas appreciated
Old 12th December 2010, 08:39 PM   #1010
diyAudio Member

Quote:
i know the question have been asked before but since im planning to use 4 Placids would it be best to put the Placids in a separate case?
Since it vastly increases the length of your powerlines I wouldn't do that. Plus it's really not needed, and that's in multiple ways. It's not required if you use a big enclosure, plus the best sonic improvements are going dual mono and using tridents. If you use Trident regulators you don't need a Placid for the DAC board.

Hide this!Advertise here!