• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Retro - A fully symetrical phono stage with RIAA filter

Hello Russ,

I've read through this thread and also absorbed everything on your website. Still, there are a few things about your Retro preamp that are unclear to me.

First, I can't work out the difference between the low Z (impedance?) and high Z versions. Do these refer to the input impedances? Which would be suitable for an MC cartridge?

My MC cartridge is an Ortofon Cadenza Red. Its output at 1KHz is 0.45 mV. Can your Retro preamp be adjusted to 60 dB without too much compromise? Is it really as simple as inserting a 75R resistor in parallel with R13?

You say you use your Joshua Tree attenuator at the output of the Retro. What is the value of the attenuator? 50K? I can find no information on your site. What is the output impedance with the attenuator in place? Does your Joshua Tree attenuator present a constant impedance to the output opamp on the Retro?

Finally, I note from reading the datasheet of the OPA1632 that the output common-mode voltage pin (VOCM) can be used to set the output common-mode voltage. From the schematic it appears you are applying a voltage from a low impedance source (the outputs of servo OPA1642). What then is the output voltage of the Retro at this setting? The maximum? Is the maximum 2.5V?

My sincere apologies for the blizzard of questions. I hope you will humour me.

Low Z is the best possible solution for MC cartridges, but the High Z circuit also works quite well.

Joshua tree is a somewhat odd bird in that its input impedance changes. But it will always be > 2K if memory serves correctly.

The output common mode is GND. The output swing will depend on the gain of he amp and the cartridge you choose. :)

There are two aspects of the servo at play in the design, one differential and one common mode. In the end the goal is to bring both toward zero (limited by part tolerance) :)

Low Z is the best possible solution for MC cartridges, but the High Z circuit also works quite well.

Joshua tree is a somewhat odd bird in that its input impedance changes. But it will always be > 2K if memory serves correctly.

The output common mode is GND. The output swing will depend on the gain of he amp and the cartridge you choose. :)

There are two aspects of the servo at play in the design, one differential and one common mode. In the end the goal is to bring both toward zero (limited by part tolerance) :)

I have read that an I/V converter is best for MC cartridges, and that in this case, it should have a balanced input to reduce noise. Maybe one of the I/V converters for a DAC could be adapted for use with a MC cartridge?

I've gone through the thread again and now understand the difference between the low Z and high Z versions. The low Z, which seems to have not been developed beyond an initial prototype, uses an OPA1632 rather than the FET-input OPA1242.

I realise now I've ordered the high-Z boards, capable of a maximum of 40 dB, and my MC cart can manage only a middling output.

Time to get me a Shure V15! :)

Benpe, that should work just fine. :) I would be interested to know how that sounds.

Greg, I don't have any of the low z boards right now, but I would be happy to get some made if people want them.

Hi Russ:

I can commit to a stereo pair of low z boards or kits if you do make them available. I will then, with my Buffalo II, have a system with complete TPA front end :)

Thanks!

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Russ or Brian...

Building up my Retro, I really wanted to use a polyprop or polystyrene cap for the 22pf's. I scrounged my stash... smallest I had was 39pf. I looked high and low... smallest PPS was 100pf, smallest Wima polyprop was 33pf. I finally found some 22pf polystyrenes at Newark and ordered some a few minutes ago.

But how much of a difference would it have made to use 33pf instead of the 22pf?

Just curious!

Greg in Mississippi

Last edited: