diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Twisted Pear (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/)
-   -   Introducing Ventus (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/151708-introducing-ventus.html)

Russ White 16th September 2009 03:10 AM

Introducing Ventus

2 Attachment(s)
Ventus is a mostly discrete opamp. :)

This is a circuit designed for some DIY fun. It is based on the Diamante circuit I published a while back.

The front end is a folded cascode design and runs into a LME49600 buffer. The buffer is in the feedback loop.

A schematic is worth a thousand words.

It sounds excellent. It can drive low impedance headphones exceptionally well.

As shown it is a BAL/SE converter and take balanced input from DACs such as Buffalo or Opus.

I would suggest when using it in this way (Balanced to SE) you use a relay to shunt output to GND on turn off to prevent any turn off thump. The thump buster works well in this role.

The Ventus can also easily be setup as a classic non-inverting amplifier with single ended input. It also can be setup as an in inverting amplifier with single ended input.

Each module is a mono channel so It takes two for stereo, and they stack easily.

There is a pot to null output offset.

We have boards tested and parts are en route so these will be available very soon.

The board is tested and proven, and I love it. I have been listening to it for a week now.

Take a look.

Cheers!
Russ

MoodySteve 1st October 2009 09:38 PM

Looks cool, Russ! I look forward to it being available.

Is this what was originally known as the 'Ballsie Lite' or is that still coming?

Russ White 1st October 2009 09:39 PM

Hi,

It is a different cct. Ballsie lite is still coming. :)

Cheers!
Russ

chipzahoy 26th October 2009 05:31 PM

I plan on adding proper BAL to SE converters to my Buffalo 32s. Would you recommend Ventus or the Ballsie Lite for the purpose of driving power amps unbalanced?

Thank you in advance!

Russ White 27th October 2009 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipzahoy (Post 1961339)
I plan on adding proper BAL to SE converters to my Buffalo 32s. Would you recommend Ventus or the Ballsie Lite for the purpose of driving power amps unbalanced?

Thank you in advance!

Both ccts works very well for the task. Ballsie lite will be a bit easier to use since it has an output shunting relay built in.

My first choise for driving headphones would be Ventus.

My first choice into another amplifier would be Ballsie Lite.

Cheers!
Russ

BrianDonegan 27th October 2009 01:34 AM

I am getting these kits ready, and am trying to decide on what to do with the LME49600.

Getting it properly mounted with a soldering iron is possible, but not easy, unless you are really good at SMD soldering. The large metal tab needs to be soldered completely to give good thermal conduction to the ground plane.

I could pre-mount them using solder paste and a reflow oven, but want to get some feedback from interested party's first.

Anyone?

chipzahoy 27th October 2009 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ White (Post 1961729)
Both ccts works very well for the task. Ballsie lite will be a bit easier to use since it has an output shunting relay built in.

My first choise for driving headphones would be Ventus.

My first choice into another amplifier would be Ballsie Lite.

Cheers!
Russ

Thank you, Russ. Can we get an estimated release date for the Ballsie Lite?

BrianDonegan 27th October 2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipzahoy (Post 1961835)
Thank you, Russ. Can we get an estimated release date for the Ballsie Lite?

Hopefully tonight.

BrianDonegan 20th November 2009 12:17 AM

The Ventus Kits and Boards will be available in the next 24 hours.

HJL857 28th November 2009 08:22 PM

Hi Brian
are the ventus kits available ?