Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 2nd September 2009, 01:54 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Default Placid-BP Bipolar Shunt Regulated Power Supply

Hey Folks,

Here is the Placid-BP under test.

Just wanted you to see that the new boards are here and they are tested. It is working perfectly. I have it set up to drive both sides of a BUF32S at 15V rails.

It is very easy to calculate fixed Rs to set the standing current and output voltage, but you can also use pots and make it adjustable. Fixed Rs are just a bit less noisy if you know what you are aiming for already.

My calculations proved very close, I ended up with +14.94 and -14.75V. Not too bad.

I sounds great, and is nice and stable.

There are two green LEDs per rail that set the reference voltage. Those can be replaced with other references if you need, but the LEDs are a very low noise reference. It would be hard to do any better.

There is also an RC filter prior to the opamp which drives the CFP shunt.

The shunt employs a shaped compensation scheme that keeps the regulator stable even into large capacitances (I have tested 1000uf low ESR Pannasonc FMs). You typiclaly do not want to load a shunt reg with a very high capacitance. It defeats the purpose.

The CCS and Shunt transistors are situated so that they can be mounted directly to a suitable chassis where vertical space is at a premium.

More details to come shortly. I have two more new circuits to test.

Cheers!
Russ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg placid_bp.jpg (150.9 KB, 2437 views)

Last edited by Russ White; 2nd September 2009 at 02:06 AM.
Old 2nd September 2009, 06:02 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Good job, Russ.
An objective and subjective comparison to LCBPS would be appreciated!
Old 2nd September 2009, 11:22 AM   #3
Beefy is offline Beefy  Australia
diyAudio Member

They look like pretty tall heatsinks! Here's hoping I can get away with the regular 1 inch ones to allow for easy stacking......
Old 2nd September 2009, 01:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

1-inch heatsinks will work in many situations. The kits will ship with 1.5" heatsinks to allow more flexibility. There will be times when you may need something larger (2" or chassis). Shunts generate heat. Stacking may or may not be a good idea, depending on what you want to do, and the case you are using.
Old 2nd September 2009, 01:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I was thinking along the lines of dual mono supplies for Buffalo. I'll just wait for more info to come out before I make any decisions......
Old 4th September 2009, 08:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Russ,

I have need for a bipolar +/- 24V supply at 500MA. Can a Placid with adequate heat sinking accommodate that need? The current is fairly static. If required, I would parallel the pass transistors, say with hard wires and low value sharing resistors. I anticipate using a forced air cooled tunnel heatsink.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 4th September 2009, 09:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Obviously I'm not sure whether Placid could handle it...... but if it can't then the Sigma22 is a perfect option; assuming it fits in your case, no modifications would be necessary.

http://www.amb.org/audio/sigma22/
Old 4th September 2009, 11:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks Beefy. Unfortunately the Sigma 22 is not a shunt regulated power supply. There's no problem finding series regulated supplies to fit my power needs, and I've built a bunch of them, including the Sigma 22. There's even a great thread here on DIY about optimizing the 317/337 that looks very interesting:

Another look at the LM317 and LM337 regulators

Thanks again,
Tom
Old 5th September 2009, 12:24 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

And the practical difference is.........?

I've read a little bit on shunt versus series, and from what I can see they are basically just two different sides of the same coin.
Old 5th September 2009, 01:06 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Actually not. It's all about supply impedance symmetry. A series regulator turns on more to supply current to a dropping load voltage caused by the load drawing more current. However, when the load voltage is rising, caused by its drawing less current, the series regulator delivers less current, but it's the load that has to absorb the excess energy. That's OK as long as the load can absorb the excess faster than it can be reduced. Otherwise, the voltage at the load rises. In effect, the output voltage of a series regulator only regulates in one direction, ie, when the load is asking for more current. In the other direction, the regulator is coasting.

A shunt regulator regulates in both directions, both by supplying more current, and absorbing excess current from the load. the effect is a much more constant source impedance as seen by the load.

Hide this!Advertise here!