• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Placid-BP Bipolar Shunt Regulated Power Supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, it was Farnell# 1651792

To save time for people in the same spot as I am:
These are out of stock at the moment.
I contacted Farnell and they expect new stock in a week or two (they actually said Oct. 5th but I've noticed they sometimes receive stock ahead of schedule).

Alternatives:
  • The RoHS compliant variant of the one Brian suggested (Order Code: 1219495) - which is unfortunately double the price!
  • Multicomp's alternative (Order Code: 1710605) - Cheap. RoHS compliant.
  • Aavid's alternative (Order Code: 1213463) - More expensive than Multicomp, RoHS compliant

There are many more that I'm sure will actually fit...

Can I use a 18-0-18V transformer to power the Placid BP, tying AC1.2 & AC2.1 together?

The PCB is not really designed for a center tapped transformer.

Still you could use one if you understand the schematic.

One way (probably the simplest) would be to omit the two on-board bridge rectifiers. Then use a single external bridge rectifier and connect the center tap or your transformer secondary to the PCB GND and V+ from the external rectifier to the positive side of where A1 used to be. And V- to the negative side of where A2 used to be.

There are other creative solutions too. Choose any you like, or just use a dual secondary transformer. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Placid blues

I just completed construction of 1 Placid and 2 Placid BP supplies. None will go lower than about 8.4 volts. The second thing I did (the first being observing two lovely green led's aglow and no smoke) was make sure I got the variable resistors in their correct locations--they are. I wish to use the one Placid at 6V for the Buffalo32S. Anyone else seeing this?

RossG

I just completed construction of 1 Placid and 2 Placid BP supplies. None will go lower than about 8.4 volts. The second thing I did (the first being observing two lovely green led's aglow and no smoke) was make sure I got the variable resistors in their correct locations--they are. I wish to use the one Placid at 6V for the Buffalo32S. Anyone else seeing this?

RossG

Hi Ross, Brian and I discovered yesterday because of a cut and paste mistake in the BOM/Schematic for the Placid(not BP) that feedback resistor sent with the kits is a too high to get an output voltage lower than 2X VREF which is ~4v. So the 8.4V you are seeing there is what I would expect since the pot is 2K and the FB R is 2K the lowest gain you can get is 2.

Fortunately the solution is simple. Replace R10 with 470R and you should be able to adjust even below 6V.

Alternatively if you know you want 6V you could leave the 2K at R10 and just use a fixed 4.02K (or even a bit more, maybe 4.7K since you refs seem a bit high) resistor instead of the pot to adjust the voltage. You will actually get slightly better performance this way, because the fixed R should have somewhat lower noise.

Sorry for the mistake.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited:
Brian, Russ, Thanks for the response and the excellent customer support. I'm looking forward to hearing the B32S with these new supplies. I'd make the resistor modification tomorrow, but ugh, my wife and I are going to Yosemite and beyond to see the fall colors. So my ears will have to wait. Life is so hard.

Ross

Placid Drifting...

I finished my Placids yesterday and got them both installed in my Buffalo32. Contruction went well except for one goof on my part where I installed one opamp backwards. I was able to unsolder it and got a replacement from Mouser. All seems well(sort of) except for the problem described below which affects both supplies.

I adjusted both supplies for the "default" settings of .25V(CCS) and 15v(output) which I assume are appropriate for use with the Buffalo32. Adjustments went well although if you install the supplies up close to another supply you will have a hard time coming back to re-adjust the CCS voltage because R17/18 are at the base of the heatsinks which is tough to get to when another supply is next to it. Perhaps on your next board version you could extend out some test pads?

The Problem: After running the DAC for a couple of hours I came back to notice that the entire case was quit warm. Checking the voltages again I found that both the CCS voltages and the output voltages had risen on all four channels by simmilar amounts. The CCS from .25v to ~.0278v and the output from 15.0v to ~15.5v. Aside from the fact that the heat output is considerable I am concerned that there is so much drift, especially a rise. My AC voltages measured at the inputs of the regulators are between 17.6 to 18.0.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.