Between TP_Shunt & TP_Out = 81.4mV

Output between - & GND = 14.92V
Output between - & + = 29.77V

Is this okay for the IVY3?
Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 10:04 AM   #172
nidirex is offline nidirex  Italy
diyAudio Member

Any problem to use Placid HD BP to put out +-24V and <100mA in standard (kit) configuration?
Old 7th February 2013, 08:55 PM   #173
diyAudio Member

Hi all.

I have a Placid BP (v. 2.12) with a problem. It's been fine for years, but while upgrading to dual-mono, I noticed some wires had slipped under the PCB which may have shorted something. The positive output is fine, but the negative won't go above -13.6V. While trying to measure voltage across R1, LED D6 flashed red and then died. All other LEDs light up fine.
Voltages across negative side components are listed below:

C1 23.49V
C3 10.43V
C5 0V
C7 -19V
C9 -23.42V

R1 0V
R11 9.02V
R9 0.005V

Any ideas?
Old 7th February 2013, 10:22 PM   #174
diyAudio Member

Problem solved by replacing D6.
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:05 PM   #175
diyAudio Member

Default QN and QP substitutions for Placid HD BP

I'm not having luck finding the 5200 and 1943 pair; both are marked as obsolete at Mouser (though they still have some of the 5200 left) and non-stock at Digikey. Best sub I found at Mouser was in a TO-3P package, which is messy to fit in. From my limited knowledge, I think a main factor here is that they should be complimentary, and be in the right range in terms of dissipation, voltage etc.

If anyone can suggest a substitute pair I'd appreciate it.
Old 17th April 2013, 09:23 PM   #176
diyAudio Member

Default QN1 and QP1 subs

On the twisted pair forum I asked for a sub since one of the devices is no longer available. Brian answered right way: "MJE15034/35 would be a great replacement. Be sure to isolate them from the heatsink, since they are not insulated packages."

Unfortunately, the /35 is not available until June, so I bought 32/33 sets as a replacement. I don't trust my understanding of spec sheets to feel confident in my choice though—will this pair be a god replacement? Or is there a spec that is too far off?
Old 18th April 2013, 06:32 AM   #177
diyAudio Member

Can I set Placid BP up to 600mA ?, necessary to change heatsink ?.
Old 9th August 2013, 02:56 PM   #178
Salar is offline Salar  Germany
diyAudio Member

I did build the BuffaloII DAC with Placid power supplies into my CD Player some years ago. Because of the heat the Placids generate, the cabinet of the player is vented. But now I want to close the cabinet completely to prevent mechanics from gathering dust. The Placid´s power transistors are the biggest source for heat. But they could be mounted on a heatsink sitting on the back of the cabinet. The Placids PCB can not be moved for this purpose, only the transistors. As a result the transistors would have to be "wired" to the pcb, they can not be soldered directly on the pcb any more. I assume the length of the connection would be about 4 inches.
Would this tweak be o.k or introduce noise?
All the best,
Sal

Last edited by Salar; 9th August 2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 9th August 2013, 03:01 PM   #179
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salar View Post
I did build the BuffaloII DAC with Placid power supplies into my CD Player some years ago. Because of the heat the Placids generate, the cabinet of the player is vented. But now I want to close the cabinet completely to prevent mechanics from gathering dust. The Placid´s power transistors are the biggest source for heat. But they could be mounted on a heatsink sitting on the back of the cabinet. The Placids PCB can not be moved for this purpose, only the transistors. As a result the transistors would have to be "wired" to the pcb, they can not be soldered directly on the pcb any more. I assume the length of the connection would be about 4 inches.
Would this tweak be o.k or introduce noise?
All the best,
Sal
I would try to avoid doing that. If you have an aluminum chassis, you can mount them to the floor under the board.
Old 3rd October 2013, 05:35 PM   #180
diyAudio Member

My Placid HD BP is fail , The VDC at rectifier = output but it drop to + - 1 VDC when it connect to Legato . I see a dead insects on QN1 transistor. Now , I measured on Placid HD BP , VDC of TP_VIN = TP_CCS and TP_OUT = TP_SHUNT, no current load on R1 and R2, all heatsink no warm ( cool ) . What wrong with it ? .

Thank you .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0876.JPG (98.7 KB, 134 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!