• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Twisted Pear Audio - Buffalo32S (ES9018 DAC)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So he only did 4X oversampling into the 8X oversampling input? While I am confident this will work fine and even sound good, it is by no means optimal.

In any case the 80Mhz clock should have worked fine in this mode because 352.8khz * 4 = 1.4112mhz and 1.4112mhz * 24 is ~ 34mhz

Now one thing to note. The datasheet is clear that the maximum sample rate in 8FS mode is 192khz * 8 which is 1.536mhz. So the maximum sample rate when using the DAC as designed is 192khz without breaking some rules (I cannot elaborate here).

So I expect your issue has little to do with the master clock speed. And more to do with the specific application you guys happened to be doing on the ESS demo board.

One thing also to consider is that the ES9018 is extremely clock dependent. Any clock quality issues will result in the DAC not holding a lock.

Dear Russ,

I appreciated your comment very much.
I have to apology to all. I misunderstood that "normal mode" of over sampling filter meant "8 x". They do not say so. In the case of 352.8 kHz / 24 bit PCM with "normal mode", the internal processing might be done in "4 x" or another as Russ pointed out.
Anyway, ES9018 accepts fs of up to 500 kHz in PCM, normal mode and fs of maximum 1.536 MHz in PCM, NOS mode.

I hope Buffalo 32 DAC users can enjoy a quality of 352.8 kHz / 24 bit audio files exploiting an amazing performance of ES9018 chip. I believe we can do that without any modifications.
I think an advanced approach of 2L has a great value and I'd like to applaud their generous release of high resolution audio files at their web site.

Bunpei

Dear Russ,

not only 2L is releasing DXD music files. Also FIM (First Impression Music) is releaseing a bunch of DXD files. I think they are in 32bit format and with 352.8kHz sampling freq.

Not that I am unhappy with 32/192 but I surely would like to use
the original recording files (DXD) if they are available
and not only a down sampled version of the original DXD files.

Classical, jazz, and crossover music CDs, XRCDs and SACDs. Sound clips

Regards,

Bunpei,

I am perfectly happy with 192khz 32bit. :)

Cheers!
Russ

DXD Files

Dear Russ,

I think it is a great initiative that DXD files are released to the public. As far as I know, DXD is the original recording files, and not down sampled or manipulated in any way.

FIM (First Impression Music) is also releaseing several DXD albums

Not that I am unhappy with 32/192 but I surely would like to be able to play non down sampled DXD files.
If the Buffalo II could do that it would be great :)

Regards,

Bunpei,

I am perfectly happy with 192khz 32bit. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Dear Russ,

I think it is a great initiative that DXD files are released to the public. As far as I know, DXD is the original recording files, and not down sampled or manipulated in any way.

FIM (First Impression Music) is also releaseing several DXD albums

Not that I am unhappy with 32/192 but I surely would like to be able to play non down sampled DXD files.
If the Buffalo II could do that it would be great :)

Regards,

It is my understanding (I work around studios) that most DXD files are simply converted from DSD. Am I wrong about this? I have not really studied it so I could well be. :)

In any case, have every reason to believe it would play them in the same way the demo did. :)

I would be happy to test it.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited:
Dear Russ,

if you have the time, I think it is worth investigating how we can play DXD files on the Buffalo II. Maybe I am not the one to want this possibility...

Regarding DXD vs DSD you must be the more knowledgable as you work around studios (which I do not). Or maybe you can ask around?

Thanks and regards,

It is my understanding (I work around studios) that most DXD files are simply converted from DSD. Am I wrong about this? I have not really studied it so I could well be. :)

In any case, have every reason to believe it would play them in the same way the demo did. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Dear Russ,

if you have the time, I think it is worth investigating how we can play DXD files on the Buffalo II. Maybe I am not the one to want this possibility...

Regarding DXD vs DSD you must be the more knowledgable as you work around studios (which I do not). Or maybe you can ask around?

Thanks and regards,

Well my experience is not much with DXD honestly. :)

My only exposure to them has been when people converted DSD masters to PCM for purposes of mixing.

That's not to say that is the only way they are used, just that it is all I have seen. :)

I will see what I can arrange in the way of a test.

Cheers!
Russ

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Greg,

Looks like a fun project!

Either 5V or 6V is OK, 5V will keep the temps down a bit. I don't have any evidence that one "sounds" better than the other.

Cheers!
Russ

Thanks Russ. I'll drop the voltage on the Placid down a bit then.

And it has been a fun project... taken me MUCH longer to get to this stage than I planned, but it was definitely not the fault of the Buff32 or the Placids.

Really looking forward to seeing what the BuffII will do here.

Later!

Greg in Mississippi

That's not to say that is the only way they are used, just that it is all I have seen. :)

In the 2L HiRes Download - test bench, they say
High Resolution Music DOWNLOAD services

"Prior to entering a commercially available download service for high resolution audio files we invite you to join us in this evaluation of future consumer delivery formats. FLAC is a lossless encoding of WAV-files derived directly from our production original used for the SACD. All resolutions and encodings are derived from the same original DXD source files. ... "

I understand that they record their master in DXD format files and edit, mix down and down-sampling into release masters for SACD, CD, mp3, etc.

When I asked the importance of playing 192 kHz/ 32 bit files, an expert replied to me;
"No need for 192 kHz/ 32 bit replay because no recording on 32 bit. DXD is more important."

Bunpei

Cheers!
Russ
Thanks Russ

Go for it!!
You will be compesated by many.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.