• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Twisted Pear Audio - Buffalo32S (ES9018 DAC)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I intend to preorder and I'd like to be clear about PSU's options.
1. For Buffalo II without any of your IVY's, if I got the picture correct, Buffalo II can use only 1 external PSU, like single-pole Placid and whatever IVY will be used will need it's own PSU. Is that correct?
2. Or does Buffalo II requires also double-pole (+/-) PSU for AVCC?
3. There is an optional stackable AVCC shunt reg module. Is that correct?
4. The optional stackable AVCC shunt reg module can be powered either from 1 external PSU connected to Buffalo II's VD in, or from 1 external PSU connected directly to the AVCC shunt reg module. Is that correct?
5. How many external PSU's can the AVCC shunt reg module utilize?
6. What is/are the expected benefit(s) from the optional stackable AVCC shunt reg module?

I updated the web site last night to (hopefully) cover some of these questions, but here are the answers...

I intend to preorder and I'd like to be clear about PSU's options.
1. For Buffalo II without any of your IVY's, if I got the picture correct, Buffalo II can use only 1 external PSU, like single-pole Placid and whatever IVY will be used will need it's own PSU. Is that correct?

Yes. In standard form, the Buffalo uses a single 5V input. That feeds three onboard regulators for the digital sections, as well as the AVcc shunt regulator. Each of the supplies can be bypassed by removing a ferrite (for each) and power supplied to each's header.

2. Or does Buffalo II requires also double-pole (+/-) PSU for AVCC?

No.

3. There is an optional stackable AVCC shunt reg module. Is that correct?

The AVcc module comes with the Buffalo (I am building them as we speak). It is optional in the sense that you could use something else to power AVcc if you wanted.

4. The optional stackable AVCC shunt reg module can be powered either from 1 external PSU connected to Buffalo II's VD in, or from 1 external PSU connected directly to the AVCC shunt reg module. Is that correct?

Yes. The AVcc uses a pin header and socket to mount to the DAC. These are not pre-soldered, so you would just not use the pin that connects the module to Vd, then supply power to the header pad externally.

5. How many external PSU's can the AVCC shunt reg module utilize?

I believe just one.

6. What is/are the expected benefit(s) from the optional stackable AVCC shunt reg module?

Lower noise for the critical analog section of the DAC.

Thanks Brian,
I'm still unclear.
1. Is the stackable AVCC shunt reg module included with the Buffalo II as default, or should it be ordered separately?
2. Will the stackable AVCC shunt reg module benefit from an additional PSU, separate from the one feeding Buffalo II?
3. Will there be any benefit from using external quiet PSU's, instead of the 3 onboard regulators?

Thanks Brian,
I'm still unclear.
1. Is the stackable AVCC shunt reg module included with the Buffalo II as default, or should it be ordered separately?
2. Will the stackable AVCC shunt reg module benefit from an additional PSU, separate from the one feeding Buffalo II?
3. Will there be any benefit from using external quiet PSU's, instead of the 3 onboard regulators?

1) Yes its included.

2) Not in any tangible way because it is a shunt regulator that is already pre-regulated (with another shunt regulator if you use placid). It also has excellent PSRR and a very well filtered VREF.

3) Purely subjective. :) We are in the final stages of design for a little three pin shunt reg that will plug into each of the headers in case people want to go that route.

All of the supplies are important of course, and the approaches taken for each are deliberate, not just convenient.

The most critical supply in the cct is AVCC, and I *VERY* carefully designed the solution there. :) It is the result of 2 years research and development.

Keep in mind the maximum input voltage for the AVCC module is 5.5V and the minimum is 5V.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited:
Thanks Russ,
It looks really excellent.
When the AVCC module is included, why have it on a separate PCB?

Two reasons.

1) Routing optimization. I laid it out that way because it allows me to better bypass and route the DAC board keeping critical nets as short as possible. It also lets me better layout the AVCC module itself concentrating on it as a unit. The net lengths actually end up shorter than if I had tried to squeeze it on the DAC board. I did not want to compromise here.

2) It's flexible. You can drop just about any 3.3V supply there you like. :) This is appealing to some DIY folks.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited:
Is the middle power entry (PWR3) on the IVY only powering the Ballsie section?

If you do not install J1-4 yes. :) If you install the jumpers you only use one supply for all three sections, which is in no way to be though of as sub-optimal. :) Once again I was just trying to be as flexible as possible to support DIY folks who may want to try all sorts of things.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.