• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Twisted Pear Audio - Buffalo32S (ES9018 DAC)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Russ: I have a Buffalo 32S with Placid power supplies.

I believe that he said that 80MHz wasn't enough, and the next faster oscillator that he had was 100MHz, so that's what he put in, and it worked.

TIA, jonathan carr

Three things,

One - mathematically you would not need 100mhz (you would only need about 68mhz) to get 352.8khz (assuming you use I2S) 80mhz should be more than enough. :)

Two - 100mhz is at the very maximum for the master clock.

Three - I am not sure that the OSF on the ES9018 will correctly handle 352.8khz sampled data. You would probably have to run in OSF bypass mode. I am not sure on this though :)

Maybe Dustin could chime in.

In short I personally would not recommend a 100mhz clock.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited:
The other day, a friend played for me some 352.8kHz 32-bit files master recordings, using one of ESS's evaluation DACs. According to my friend, ESS's evaluation DAC needed to be modified with a faster master clock in order to play the 352.8kHz files. I believe that he said that 80MHz wasn't enough, and the next faster oscillator that he had was 100MHz, so that's what he put in, and it worked.

TIA, jonathan carr

Actually the demo boards use a 40mhz clock. Not 80mhz.

So it is no surprise he had to use a faster clock, as you would need one > 68mhz or so.

Cheers!
Russ

The Placids will be in stock once the Buffalo boards arrive next week, but I will open them up for sale at the same time.

I will probably add some combo options for the buffalo as well, but not sure what at the moment. I will probably just do Buffalo, IVY III, Placid, Placid BP combo, though you could add a second Placid BP for dual-mono.

Also, if you want to do what I am calling mondo-dual-mono (two BII's in mono mode, each separate feeding an IVYIII) I will throw in the alternate IVYIII resistors* :)

I will do my best to have the pages updated tonight, but I just got back from picking up an outboard motor for my brother's catameran, and am heading out to dinner with the family, so it will be later tonight.

The sale will start at 8PM EST tomorrow, and have a second round 12 hours later. EST is GMT-5.

* You just know someone will want to try it! It will be a matter of dip switch settings.

I will probably add some combo options for the buffalo as well, but not sure what at the moment. I will probably just do Buffalo, IVY III, Placid, Placid BP combo, though you could add a second Placid BP for dual-mono.

Also, if you want to do what I am calling mondo-dual-mono (two BII's in mono mode, each separate feeding an IVYIII) I will throw in the alternate IVYIII resistors* :)

Nice, but I have no idea how people could realistically fit it all in once case!

Yes the on-board regs are quite good.

A good LM317(or LM317/LM337 for bipolar) based supply like the LCBPS/LCDPS is perfectly fine.

Still it does not hurt anything to use something a bit better for the pre-regulators. And thats the attraction of the Placid/Plaicd BP.

I would say the biggest impact would be felt in using the Plaicd-BP for the IVY-III, but you would still get superb results with the LCBPS because the PSRR of the IVY-III is excellent.

Cheers!
Russ

Forgive the ignorance but is this BuffaloII a drop-in substitute for the Buffalo32s?

Buffalo II + IVY III would be yes (just a bit taller). And it has the added bonus of a balanced to single ended converter for both balanced and single ended output at the same level.

You would have had to add a Ballsie Lite(or similar circuit) to get the same thing with Buffalo32S.

Cool, can't wait to order(/build/listen) :)

Tempting, very tempting...

Seems like this moment is the eye of the tornado before the first counter onTP's site goes to zero. Xellent time for (noob)questions.

- I want to use three BP placids for the Ivy III
- Three single voltage placids for the BII

Does one of those SP placids feed the "included AVCC shunt" ?
Or must I use another 2 SP placids :eek:

I have a Philips CDpro-2lf player/chassis and want to use the I2S output.
6 pins : EF/SCLK/WCLK/DATA/GND/V4.

- How do I connect it to the BII with best sample rate setting ?
I also have a Metronome :D
-Can I still use the Volumite, which also uses the the I2S header on the BII ?

Thanks !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.