• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Twisted Pear Audio - Buffalo32S (ES9018 DAC)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Optimising layout and wiring

Thought i would seek some advice from you knowledgable folks if you dont mind...
I have built a Buffalo 32 with dual analogue power supplies with seperate transformers, the sound is great and i am very happy with it but i wanted to be sure i had done everything possible to extract the best performance.

My questions are:

1) what is the optimal grounding arrangement - i have grounded the case through the transformer mounting bolt nearest the IEC power inlet. The dac board and PSU's are not grounded to the case and the xlr outputs and inputs are also isolated from the case. Is this optimal?

2) I have arranged the DAC in the case so the SPDIF coax and balanced output cables are short runs and so that the DAC board lives in the left corner of the 1 U case with all transformers and PSU on the right side - this means the power supply cables are not of equal length and are not as short as possible. The cables are twisted though. Is this acceptable or should i change it.

3) Is it ok to leave the DAC permenantly powered - it gets quite warm..

Pic attached of installation - rear panel now completed with all connector mounted.

Many thanks,

Luke:D

Re: Optimising layout and wiring

Crafty said:
i have grounded the case through the transformer mounting bolt nearest the IEC power inlet.

Bad idea. You might have created a short circuited turn through the centre of the transformer - essentially an additional secondary winding on the transformer that will generate an AC voltage through the bolt and in/around the case itself.

Buffalo Performance

My Buffalo configuration:
Signal source is a Sony DVD player.
The DVD goes into the MUX via coaxial cable. The MUX is connected to the Buffalo, using I2S (or whatever the digital connection the MUX isn't connected through S/PDIF).
I am currently using only one LCBPS, as I'm curing an assembly mix-up on a second LCBPS.

I have a few questions for anyone willing to reply and share feedback.

1) Would the sound/performance be any different if I connected the Mux through the S/PDIF to the Buffalo instead?

2) Do you notice a substantial difference in volume levels with different recordings?

By way of personal experience, I've had a couple of dozen CD players through my system for extended periods, from modest to excellent quality (Ensemble Dichrono/Dirondo ~ $15k, EAR Acute $5500) and never noticed such a difference in volume levels. If the range of a volume pot is represented by a 12 hour clock, to achieve similar perceived volume levels the difference might be as much as 2 hours.

I'm wondering if the difference is the use of the I2S (non-S/PDIF?) connection?

FWIW, this is not a complaint, the Buffalo sounded very good 30 seconds into the first recording, I've just never noticed such a difference in volume levels

In advance, thanks for your feedback.

Larry

Hi Russ,

Can I use a Digital audio transformers like LUNDAHL LL1573 (1:1:1) and LL1589 (1:1:1:1) for 2~3 SPDIF inputs on a B32 without much penalty?

Actually, I dont like the idea of putting a Mux/ receiver in front of a B32 which I think may increases the jitter, am I right to think this way? :confused:

fff0 said:
Actually, I dont like the idea of putting a Mux/ receiver in front of a B32 which I think may increases the jitter, am I right to think this way? :confused:

If you feed the SPDIF directly into the Sabre chip, it uses its internal SPDIF/I2S converter. If you use the converter of the MUX-receiver, you input directly an I2S signal into the Sabre chip. Since the jitter rejection of the Sabre chip is excellent, I doubt that you will hear any difference between the two converters. Why don't you simply try it out and let us know?

Kurt

Javin5 said:

If you feed the SPDIF directly into the Sabre chip, it uses its internal SPDIF/I2S converter. If you use the converter of the MUX-receiver, you input directly an I2S signal into the Sabre chip. Since the jitter rejection of the Sabre chip is excellent, I doubt that you will hear any difference between the two converters. Why don't you simply try it out and let us know?

Kurt

I've seen a LOT of anecdotal evidence that while the Sabre can pick up a direct SPDIF stream, it is FAR from ideal, and that the MUX offers a significant improvement to reliability in terms of achieving and maintaining lock.

But.... Better or worse jitter? Audible differences? Hard to say.

hybride said:
Brian or Russ,

What is the minimum voltage for V-analog on the B32S to start function correctly?

Hans

The relays on the V1.1 boards (and thump buster for V1.0) are designed to work at 24V so at least +/-12V are required unless you use different relays. +/-15 is better.

If you have a V 1.0 board and don't user thump buster then you can safely go all the way down to about +/-6V Maybe even 5V I have not tried it. Lowering the rails there will harm PSRR and CMRR a bit, but not too bad.

Cheers!
Russ

Hi

Finished my b32s, very easy to assemble.
I cut the traces near the outputs.
I am using the balanced outputs into my preamp.

First time power on, no lock. aha, swiched spdif on and there is lock.
music appears, always good, but left channel is much softer then the right channel. Ajusted the balance and it does sound very good straigt out of the box.

took it on the bench again and measured the output resistance, all 22 ohms, so the traces have been cut properly!!.

Measured the outputs while powered and there is a 0,5 v dc on the left channel + to agnd and - to agnd while there is none on the right channel.

Not going to connect it again untill this is fixed.

Since i am a noob in these matteres i don't know what is going on, so a little help here would be appriciated.

Thanks in advance
John

AndrewT said:
is this a hammer/mallet operation or is it taking up a career in burglary?

That would be nice come to think about it, planning a trip to the Van Gogh museum already.

If it were a car it would be running in but i guess that ain't it eather.

Listerning to the dac yesterday at first it sounded a bit harch but you could actually hear the sound changing. Already it is very good compared to my teac vrds 10.

It is very detailed, scary dynamic, and the bass is getting better.

Hope it continues to improve at this rate for the next month or so!!!!.

John.

Dear Brian or Russ,
I'm most interested in your Buffalo32s DAC, but before ordering I need some help with conections.

A top priority for me is to feed this DAC with DSD signal from my Sony SCD-XA3000ES SACD player. I have the service manual and already located the needed signals (at least I think so), so no problem there. I'll simply wire them to RJ-45 connector on the player's back plate and then use CAT5 to the DAC box.

However, I still occasionally listen to some plain CDs, so I need to cover that base too. I could probably get I2S signal of the player too, or SPDIF, it really doesn't matter. All I need is a simple way to switch between the DSD/PCM signals. I don't mind powering the DAC down/up with every signal switch, but opening the box and flipping some DIP switches every time is not an option :) .

Could you help me with some relatively elegant way to switch between those signals? I don't mind ordering some additional boards or rotary switches, if needed (OTTO, ...?)

If we are at it, how feasible would it be to make this DAC a truly inversal one, i.e. sporting both DSD, I2S, SPDIF and USB inputs? Thank you very much for your answer.

I apologize in advance for being slightly off topic, but the other forums relating to the Sabre DAC have become a bit slow.

ESS Technology has just announced a new stereo Sabre DAC, ES9022. It has 2Vrms driver outputs, measured from ground of a single 3.3V supply.

Here's the link:
http://www.esstech.com/PDF/ES9022_PF_090731.pdf

Any discussion probably should go on the ESS Sabre Reference DAC forum.

RossG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.