• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Twisted Pear Audio - Buffalo32S (ES9018 DAC)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
brgds said:

Ok. Let me then ask: how to disable the whole output stage and take the signal directly from ESS chip? I've tried that by removing IC9 and IC12, but failed...

Hi,

I don't mean this badly, but this has been said a hundred times. The Buffalo32S board is not designed to be used in that way. I don't have time to support such modifications.

This is why it is a finished module, not a kit or bare PCB.

There will be a board without output stage I suggest anyone who wants to design an output stage use that board when it is available.

Cheers!
Russ

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Can;'t Forget Brian

Russ White said:

Brian deserves a lot of credit as TPA would not exist without him. I know I am very grateful for for his dedication.

Absolutely, my apologies Brian. I was just excited about how it sounded.

Both you guys are the best and I can't believe how much work you put into making these kits.

Craig

Russ White said:

Hi,

I don't mean this badly, but this has been said a hundred times. The Buffalo32S board is not designed to be used in that way. I don't have time to support such modifications.

This is why it is a finished module, not a kit or bare PCB.

There will be a board without output stage I suggest anyone who wants to design an output stage use that board when it is available.

Cheers!
Russ

Is that really a big issue to advise for instance "remove all opamps" (my guess) ? Should I feel myself as 2nd category customer not allowed to touch anything since my taste differs from what most of users report?

Is that really a big issue to advise for instance "remove all opamps" (my guess) ? Should I feel myself as 2nd category customer not allowed to touch anything since my taste differs from what most of users report?

No, no offense intended; it's just that it's not that simple. The DAC is deriving VA and reference voltages from the analog stages, so you cannot just remove them. you would need to make a lot of complicated changes (cutting traces, removing parts, adding new elements, etc). As such, it is not something we want to support. (Once we start talking about how it would be done, we are supporting it, and the endless stream of questions and dead DAC modules that result.)

We are going to release a version targeted directly at what you want to do.

If you want to reverse engineer it, we are completely fine with it, but the changes are not trivial.

Re: Placid update

Hey Russ and Brian, just a quick question regarding linestages, power supplies and transformers......

Lets say I wanted a single transformer to feed two LCBPS (or two Placid), to in-turn power two IVY II (or two analogue channels of a B32S). What would be the minimum rated transformer you would recommend for such a job?

The story is that I am going to order some custom transformers that are fully shielded and encapsulated to do exactly this. I was originally thinking 30VA to match two of the 15VA ones TPA sells, but they will be physically very large and thus complicate casework. I am hoping that 20VA will still be sufficient, but in a smaller physical footprint.

Thoughts?

Cheers! :)

Excellent - thanks Brian.

Stupidly, I forgot to ask about the digital side as well. Will a second 20VA also be sufficient for a MUX, Toslink module and Buffalo 1.0 or B32S? The transformer for this will have 9VAC secondaries, so power wastage across regulators should be minimal......

Re: BUF32S output options

Hi Russ:

You said:

Russ White said:

If you are going directly out to headphones then you will want to leave the trace uncut. The BUF32S very easily drive almost any headphone. Even 32ohm cans.

I have already cut the traces and I'm driving an amplifier. I want to add connectors for Grado SR60 headphones ( 32 ohms ) modified to balanced operation.

Should I connect in "before" the 21 ohm output resistors?

Is there a through hole or other convenient place to attach?

I have the Buffalo32S mounted now, and I cannot find a picture of the bottom side of the board.

In fact if you can post a picture of the bottom of the board, that would be cool.

Thanks.

Re: Re: BUF32S output options

Originally posted by wackyterbacky

I have already cut the traces and I'm driving an amplifier. I want to add connectors for Grado SR60 headphones ( 32 ohms ) modified to balanced operation.

Should I connect in "before" the 21 ohm output resistors?

Is there a through hole or other convenient place to attach?

I have the Buffalo32S mounted now, and I cannot find a picture of the bottom side of the board.

In fact if you can post a picture of the bottom of the board, that would be cool.

Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry, brain fart.

There are positions for through-hole resistors next to the cut marks. You can use them for tapping for the headphones.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.