• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Twisted Pear Audio - Buffalo32S (ES9018 DAC)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Duffy Moon said:

Ahh - more psychological phenomena misinterpreted as physical phenomena. Pretty much what I thought.

Perhaps the people describing the Buffalo 32s as "dull" are simply registering an absence of the (pleasing?) distortion that they had grown accustomed to from other, less accurate DACs?
Food for thought...

You could be right, I personally can't stand HF distortion or the fake bright sound you get with a lot of digital sources, I've noticed with a lot of gear it can become too much with complex music.
I still think its worth experimenting with alternative regulation for at least the IVYII stage, I'm finding things much more effortless now

As already mentioned I'm happy with the sound at the moment anyway, I've had a few mails from folks though with this dac and they seem to think it sounds overly smooth
I wonder how many of those have valve amps:D

leo said:

You could be right, I personally can't stand HF distortion or the fake bright sound you get with a lot of digital sources, I've noticed with a lot of gear it can become too much with complex music.
I still think its worth experimenting with alternative regulation for at least the IVYII stage, I'm finding things much more effortless now

As already mentioned I'm happy with the sound at the moment anyway, I've had a few mails from folks though with this dac and they seem to think it sounds overly smooth
I wonder how many of those have valve amps:D

Leo,

I am a vinyl junkie and only came into the digital domain in a big way last year building a cMP2 computer; I cannot stand HF problems and for a few years hated CD players. But with this combination of cMP2 and the Buffalo32 I have to say that it sounds like my vinyl system used to - or at least how I remember it, so I will be dragging it out over the weekend to have a listen.

I love the presentation of the Buffalo - highs sound natural (just listening to some Blue Note CD's) - absolutely beautiful.

Not sure if I have posted the system but just to put my comments in context:-

cMP2 with Juli@ modified for SPDIF output; Buffalo32 using SPDIF psu's are TP's mono versions; Lightspeed Attenuator; Peter Daniels Patek-style amp; Gedlee Abbey speakers.

All of these are what I would describe as open/transparent and they do not seem to exagerate any frequencies.

One other thing about the Buffalo is that listening at lowish levels is still very nice.

Dull sounding music

I belive a lot of the sound quality comes from the recording, and the Sabre/Buffalo just brings out whatever is on the recording. Nothing seems to be added or subracted by the Buffalo/Sabre. Music that has a large amount of signal processing or that's recorded poorly really stands out as being 'dull' when played through the Buffalo. Lots of recordings of great singers, Streisand for example, don't bring out the fullness of the singer's voice. One Streisand anthology CD that I've listend to only contained a couple recordings that really brought out her voice. I've heard dull recordings of many orchestras as well.

I've found live recordings, or well made recordings (Chesky Records for example) sound fantastic and very alive through the Buffalo.

I meet with some friends from time to time to play recordings that sound amazing. Am I the only one with a Buffalo that's now going around trying to find amazing sounding recordings? :)

RossG

So, for those of you who are wondering. I have not forgot about the "Placid" shunt regulator I started working on about a year ago. I have just been perfecting it.

Here is a simulated FFT of line regulation with input 15V and a 1V sine wave on the input voltage. The output is 3.3V with a supply current of 200ma and a load of 100ma.

I will know very soon if the real thing works. :)

As you can see. The PSRR is excellent if the sim is even somehwat close to right.

So for those of you wanting something other than LM317/337. This should be the ticket. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Attachments

• placid1.jpg
    placid1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 782
Russ White said:
So, for those of you who are wondering. I have not forgot about the "Placid" shunt regulator I started working on about a year ago. I have just been perfecting it.

Here is a simulated FFT of line regulation with input 15V and a 1V sine wave on the input voltage. The output is 3.3V with a supply current of 200ma and a load of 100ma.

I will know very soon if the real thing works. :)

As you can see. The PSRR is excellent if the sim is even somehwat close to right.

So for those of you wanting something other than LM317/337. This should be the ticket. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Good news Russ. I was just wondering.
What will the output imprdance look like?

Jean-Charles said:

Good news Russ. I was just wondering.
What will the output imprdance look like?

I was hoping you would see this. :)

Here is the output impedance.

Same voltages and current/load as before.

It does equally well at higher voltages btw. Up to 20V or so should be fine.

The solid line is the impednace. The dashed line is phase.

So it practically nothing. The trace/wire impedance will dominate.

Attachments

• placid2.jpg
    placid2.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 761
At any frequency above 1mhz the regulator (any regulator) load regulation will start to fall off dramatically. This is where bypass caps come into play.

The placid will be all through hole. With a DIP opamp. So you can use a multitude of opamps. We will likely supply LME or similar.

The power devices are TO220 full pack type and will be well heat sinked. You ought to be able to get 200ma out of each supply easily. The output current and voltage will both be adjustable.

The first iteration of the circuit will likely be a single supply. But you could easily connect two in series to get a bipolar supply.

Later I will likely do a bipolar version.

:EDIT:
I will also put a rectifier and caps on the board so you can use it directly. If you want to use a pre-regulator that is fine, too. But the line regulation is so good I can't see any reason to need to.

Cheers!
Russ [/B][/QUOTE]

That's good news, Russ! Was hoping you wouldn't give up on Placid..

Any idea what kind of voltage drop will be required for the Placid to work properly?
I hope I can keep my current transformers..
They are spec'ed at 2x18V AC for IVYIIs and 2x12V AC for VD, a bit higher than the 2x15 and 2x9 recommended, having shunt regulators in mind.

The placid should work fine from 5V to 20VAC transformers. I will know better once I have really tested it.

The lowest practical output is 3.3V. The highest is about 25V.

Current through the CCS can be adjusted by the user and safe operation will require appropriate setup.

I will start a dedicated thread at some point.

BTW noise should be very nice and low. :)

The voltage reference is an LED with RC filter, and it is supplied by the regulated voltage and a CCS to make it even more clean.

Cheers!
Russ

Russ White said:
brgds,

Sorry if I can't be much more help. I suspect there is something else at work.

Cheers!
Russ

Russ, you were perfectly right. I’m more than happy to advise that my BUF finally started to sound as I expected :) – after a week of burning of the whole system, and it’s improving from day to day. I suppose I know what happened :smash: … but that would be very much OT.
The most impressive and new things are: bass – deep, well controlled, springy and rich; overall resolution; scene depth; liquidity. The only concern is a bit thin middle band with a kind of ringing on higher midds which make sometimes piano or female voice unnatural and “jazzy”. Hope that’ll disappear soon. Perhaps I should enable those 22Ohm series resistors?

Russ White said:
Hi Leo,

I don't have any problem with your suggestions. I am just stating what I believe to be true.

I get PMs too. ;)

I actually very much appreciate your good will and intentions.

Cheers!
Russ

Thanks Russ!

I've been using it with the headphone amp the last few days, next step I think is to get a volumite , convert the cans to balanced and ditch the headphone amp :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.