• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Twisted Pear Audio - Buffalo32S (ES9018 DAC)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I am waiting for the Buffalo II eagerly, the original is brilliant sounding but I can't live with it for the popping problem (yes, it's back), which I hope is totally fixed in version II. Nothing worse than when I'm totally getting into the music, to have a loud pop or a nasty break in the sound. Total killjoy.

I'm obviously looking at the "BuffaloII for Dummies" board. I want something I can put together for very little fuss, and the best possible sound quality. Given that I'm already happy with the Buffalo/IVY when it decides to stay locked, I am looking for something that never loses lock and sounds at least as good.

Russ,

First off, I was suggestiong ideas for the mod-Buffalo, not the Buffalo32S. I understand you are designing two, but will both have on-board regs and I/V? I think the mod board should have only what is needed.

1. The controller could be pads for hook-up to a PC to control the on-board stuff.

2. If I have four shunt regs to power the DAC, is there need for further regulation?

3. What can't be done better from off the board? I know signal routing and length is important, but if the ones buying the mod-Buffalo intend on tinkering, would you not be lengthening their signal path as well?

4. If you are including I/V and regs on both boards, maybe a third board with just the DAC chip and crucial SMD bits in is order just for those who can't solder a 64 pin chip but want to build a DAC based around the Sabre32?

5. What I meant by "best" layout is as small, clean as can be, and still include pads for most everything.

woodturner-fran said:
Is there DC offset in SE mode - ie would it need a cap on the output like the earlier beta boards (beta-beta!)?

I only ask because there was meant to be fairly severe turn-off thump on that too but I have none. And I mean none at all.....I have a friend who has the same DAC and would love a counterpoint set up (I and he thinks it sounds great) but uses SE outputs only.

And the 2 boards would run happily off a single LCDPS?

Fran

Hah, yes I guess this is the second beta. Beta 2.

I can't really say if you will get a thump (SE) or not, as it will depend on what you have after the I/V stage.

What I can say is that balanced out it is pretty well behaved with only a small transient on turn off.

What I observed was that when I had the I/V stage directly connected to a power amp connected single ended, I got a pretty large transient. That is why I am being cautious with people and recommending they only use it for balanced output. But this is DIY. Other folks may find it works fine single ended for them. I am hoping as more people use the circuit I can get some feedback on how to make it better. Sound wise, it is awesome.

Cheers!
Russ

fff0 said:
Hi Russ,

Can I link the input of a Buffalo32 with 2 SPDIF connector connecting to 2 different devices directly with only 1 device on at a time?

I would recommend you use our MUX boards if you want to do multiple SPIDF inputs. Then go I2S into the DAC. The MUX module has the advantage of galvanic isolation.

In order to give the most flexibility for input formats (PCM/DSD,SPDIF) we decided we would limit the SPDIF input to one.

Cheers!
Russ

Introducing the Buffalo 32s

It lives...

buffalo32s_1.jpg

buffalo32s_2.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.