Twisted Pear Audio - Buffalo32S (ES9018 DAC) - Page 98 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 14th October 2015, 05:10 AM   #971
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
This deserves better power supplies and a case. Will post a pic when its done. I am thinking I need to try your COD now for completeness Then again, there is the Buffalo III.
Old 14th October 2015, 11:41 AM   #972
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
COD does not get as much attention as it deserves - it is a great sounding DAC when paired with either the IVY-III or the Legato. Just set up either IV stage for 4X the normal gain. If you want volume control Joshua Tree is a natural choice - but you could use any analog attenuation or pre-amp you like.

Have fun!
Old 8th November 2015, 01:37 AM   #973
diyAudio Member

I ordered a box from alibaba to put the dac in. Took a few hours to get everything in and I started listening to it. All is well. A friend was going to buy this from me but had no time to get it going. He bought a volumite, so we did a little trade and I thought the next step is to get it hooked up. I used the 3.3V on the buffalo, and hooked the i2c up correctly. I removed the buffalo firmware chip and cranked it up. The Mute light came up and then after a few seconds turned off. There is no lock light. I wanted to carry on listening and not that bothered by volumite. I reinserted the chip into the dac and disconnected the volumite. I now get the same behavior, mute then no leds, no sound.
I was very careful to power down and earth myself to chassis. I don't understand what could have happened. This is a pretty upsetting so if any one can help I would appreciate it. It may be dead:-(
Old 9th November 2015, 04:08 AM   #974
diyAudio Member

Strange. I turned this all off overnight, got a little depressed thinking about all the hard work gone into this and how I was over DIY. I spoke to my volumite buddy from above post and he said that doesn't make sense. Go home and try it again, it will probably work. So after work I did. I booted the pc, turned the unit on and almost instantly got a lock I thought this cant be right, so I turned it all off and on and it still works. I am soak testing it, but after an hour it's ok. I am so relieved
Next step is do I leave operation shoe horn as it is, put the finishing touches on and forget the Volumite? Any advice guys, I still don't understand what I did wrong and I am a little worried about loosing it for good. Is there any thing that I missed, or gotchas not in the manual that I may have missed?
Here's a pic of the almost finished unit. Very tight, bit like my Opus. One day I am going to build a big dac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151109_174915.jpg (993.9 KB, 153 views)
Old 9th November 2015, 06:58 PM   #975
diyAudio Member

Two, possibly dumb questions...

1. When you removed the stock firmware chip and connected the Volumite, did you also install a Volumite firmware chip?

2. When you were swapping firmware chips back and forth and connecting/disconnecting the Volumite, the power was off whenever you swapped/plugged/unplugged, right?

Sorry if these are obviously dumb questions and that you did all the swaps exactly right, but one can't tell from your descriptions...

Greg in Mississippi
Old 9th November 2015, 07:51 PM   #976
diyAudio Member

Another question:

You are powering the Volumite from the Buffalo's 3.3V, so you have not installed the voltage regulator on the Volumite (instead using a jumper wire). Correct?
Old 9th November 2015, 08:17 PM   #977
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Stewart View Post
Two, possibly dumb questions...

1. When you removed the stock firmware chip and connected the Volumite, did you also install a Volumite firmware chip?

2. When you were swapping firmware chips back and forth and connecting/disconnecting the Volumite, the power was off whenever you swapped/plugged/unplugged, right?

Sorry if these are obviously dumb questions and that you did all the swaps exactly right, but one can't tell from your descriptions...

Greg in Mississippi
Hi Greg, thanks for taking the time, no questions are dumb ona forum as we don't know what level/experience people are at and I didn't talk about steps I took.

1./ I did install the firmware for Volumite prior to testing.
2./ Yes, it's instinctive behaviour for me. There was no power applied while I was touching anything.
Old 9th November 2015, 08:31 PM   #978
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDonegan View Post
Another question:

You are powering the Volumite from the Buffalo's 3.3V, so you have not installed the voltage regulator on the Volumite (instead using a jumper wire). Correct?
Hi Brian, I did make a wee mistake. In my excitement to get this all together in the weekend, I forgot to jumper the regulator as it was fed of the Buffalo. I disconnected and inserted the jumper before going back to on-board firmware.
I disconnected the cable while it was switched off, added the jumper and then rewired it. While it was disconnected I checked the 3.3V on the Buffalo which measured correctly. I then rewired turned on and had the same behaviour, Mute LED locked on and then the LED went off. I tested by touching the rca connector which causes a horrible sound on my test cans, there was silence, so relays were locked I think.
When I went back to the Buffalo onboard firmware, I simply disconnected the unbilicle cord and taped it with insulation tape so as not to short anything.
At this stage I had the Mute LED again.
The whole thing doesn't seem to make sense, yes I made a mistake, but no voltage typically doesn't kill things.
I am enjoying the dac for now, and I'm going to leave it be till the weekend when I hope to finish it off. I'm tempted to install the regulator and try a 5V supply line. Only cos doing the same thing and getting the same result my be considered by some as Dumb
Old 29th November 2015, 03:26 AM   #979
diyAudio Member

Hi All, I spent some time with tidying up a few loose ends, ie drilling vents for shunt heat, arranging a Zener for the on off led. used a 130 ohm resistor and a cap across the zener and tapped off the psu. Its a bit butch but I couldn't tell the difference in sound with or without zener on plus 15v rail. My math was about right and there is 11.8V across the LED. I also found that if I wiggle the i2s on the wavio, the signal lock turns off and on. But I could not recreate my problem when I hooked up the volumite the first time. Volumite now works fine, maybe not so linear, but hey its the only minor flaw I could critique
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151129_165752.jpg (834.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 20151129_165948.jpg (524.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 20151129_170121.jpg (625.2 KB, 73 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!