Twisted Pear Audio - Buffalo32S (ES9018 DAC) - Page 97 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 28th April 2013, 10:33 AM   #961
diyAudio Member

Ok Russ. IŽll post the measures in the support forum of TPA but at this time seems to be a problem loading the page...
Old 1st October 2015, 09:45 AM   #962
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
Hi Russ, I have a buffalo 32S and I just bought a Wavio usb reciever for it. I have no problem configuring it for spdif, but whn I connect the i2s interface and switch off the spdif switch, it doesnt work. The green led goes out and there is no sound.

The 3 connections I use between the devices is:

source bit clock to DCK , source word clock to D1, Source data to D2. There is no ground output connection required between the two devices I take it, just the 3 connections?

thanks.
Old 1st October 2015, 11:15 AM   #963
diyAudio Member

Unless both modules share the same power supply, and therefore the power ground, you will need to connect a ground as well. You need a common ground reference for the I2S signals.
Old 1st October 2015, 07:40 PM   #964
diyAudio Member

Thanks Brian I wondered about ground, but there is no ground out from the Wavio i2S outputs. I may try the spdif out ground.
Old 1st October 2015, 08:04 PM   #965
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Thanks Brian I wondered about ground, but there is no ground out from the Wavio i2S outputs. I may try the spdif out ground.
I would bet there is only one digital output ground on the board (apart from an isolated output, which I think it might have as well).
Old 1st October 2015, 08:16 PM   #966
ichiban is offline ichiban  United States
It's always something!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I would guess you're using the Isolated I2S outputs.
If you look at J6 pin outs the row numbered 1 are all
isolated grounds.
If you're using the J2 through J5 outputs, each connector
has a center pin outputting the data and ground connector
surrounding them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WAVEIO top.jpg (146.9 KB, 209 views)
File Type: jpg WAVEIO bottom.jpg (132.1 KB, 205 views)

Last edited by ichiban; 1st October 2015 at 08:23 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 2nd October 2015, 09:30 AM   #967
diyAudio Member

Hi Brian, actually I was using ground, I am not sure if the ground I was using is the same as isolated ground, continuity test should tell me, and I can just take a feed from isolated ground anyway. Ichiban, yes I'm using isolated I2S with no separate voltage. I better build another reg and try again. It is in the instructions, I just didnt realise I was using isolated i2s, Lucian has just informed me. I Should have this resolved soon. Thanks all.
Old 3rd October 2015, 06:28 AM   #968
diyAudio Member

Got it going, its quite an impressive dac, at first I liked the opus more so never really did much with it. The Opus is a very smooth and easy to listen to, I like it. But this buffalo is actually very good. My setup is different now, and it is a better performer. I noticed improvement with the I2S over the spdif in.
Would there be any advantage in the newer Buffalos Brian, or do you think this is as good? I quite like the idea of tweaking i/v and output stages.
Old 3rd October 2015, 06:51 AM   #969
diyAudio Member

And a pic of the unfinished product. Maybe I try a couple of shunts for analog stage, and try a lower voltage, the chips seem very hot. I might even try a discreet borbely buffer. I need to figure out the final config before I get a case. Brian and Russ, thankyou both again, I love your products
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151001_211150.jpg (991.9 KB, 182 views)
Old 13th October 2015, 03:24 PM   #970
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Very cool! Thanks for the kind words. Kind neat to see a B32S in the wild.

Hide this!Advertise here!