Twisted Pear Audio - Buffalo32S (ES9018 DAC) - Page 71 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 19th November 2009, 01:49 PM   #701
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanspeakman View Post
Has anyone already upgraded the powersupplies of their Buffalo32s from LCBPS to Placid and what are the results?

Scanspeakman
I used one Dual Placid to replace the LCBPS for my Buff32. The most significant change I can say was the music was even more involving than before. After the Placid was well burned in I then added the Ballsie since I am using SE. Now there is another big change. I still had all the clarity, but I gained a bottom end that seems to have no limit. I use stereo subs and I my system measures flat to below 20hz in my with RealRTA and I never have heard as much base as I am hearing now, I have actually had to dial back the subs a couple of notches with the Ballsie in the circuit. I will listen for a couple of more weeks and as a reality check remove the Ballsie to see if I since a lack of base. BTW I am using the Burr-Brown IC in the Ballsie.
Old 19th November 2009, 02:16 PM   #702
protos is offline protos  Greece
diyAudio Member

I am just setting up mine but have a problem with the single placid.Leds ok,8VAC input ,0.25v on r17,but when I ramp up the voltage output after 5v it suddenly jumps to 8.5v.Then I have to really back down on the pot until it jumps to 3.7v in one instant.Am I running out of input voltage?
Is 5v ok for the digital ps?
Old 20th November 2009, 09:57 AM   #703
diyAudio Member

Yup.I switched transformer to 12 vac and it is ok.Now it ramps up to around 8.5v and then it loses the regulation.The placid needs 6-7Vdc headroom to work properly it seems.So if you want about 6vdc then a 9vac transformer is on the low side.
Old 20th November 2009, 10:49 AM   #704
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally Posted by protos View Post
Yup.I switched transformer to 12 vac and it is ok.Now it ramps up to around 8.5v and then it loses the regulation.The placid needs 6-7Vdc headroom to work properly it seems.So if you want about 6vdc then a 9vac transformer is on the low side.
HI Protos,

The placid actually only needs about 3VDC headroom to work plus the drop at R17. What VA rating is your transformer? Did you measure the voltage after the rectifier at 250ma CSS current?

I am using 7.5VAC transformer for 6VDC output in my rig.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 20th November 2009, 11:52 AM   #705
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm View Post
Russ / Brian,

I just came back to audio after about 6 months break and I'm thinking about bufallo 32 and I see you redesigning it . . . . .

Is this an upgrade of the original or is it the DIY tweakers version.

In other words are you gonna end up with two versions of bufallo or one.

I wonder when each version might be released again ( if there are two ) ?

Many thanks

and sorry if this is covered already

mike
We will have one version of the Buffalo. It will be both an upgrade and the tweaker's version rolled into one. We are sure you will like it.
Old 20th November 2009, 12:02 PM   #706
diyAudio Member

I am using a 12v 300ma transformer or a 9v 500ma although as I wrote the last one was giving me like 8vac on an unloaded placid.Do you mean ccs current by measuring r17 at .250v ?
Old 20th November 2009, 12:12 PM   #707
diyAudio Member

3.6VA and 4.5VA are too small and are going to give problems.We recommend 15-30VA.
Old 20th November 2009, 09:36 PM   #708
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDonegan View Post
We will have one version of the Buffalo. It will be both an upgrade and the tweaker's version rolled into one. We are sure you will like it.
Will it be ready for christmas presents?
Old 20th November 2009, 10:29 PM   #709
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
I am hoping to have the layout finished this weekend.

I am very excited to try it out myself.

It is pretty radically different in a lot of ways from anything previous, but still keeping some of the features of the Buffalo that make it easy to use. Such as DSD,PCM, and SPDIF input with no hassle.

I think you guys are really going to like what I have working.

Here is the best news, while Brian and I don't know the exact cost yet, the price will be very reasonable.

The layout really took some thought. It is 4 layer and has some pretty nifty features.

I have been taking time to prototype ideas and get this thing were I really want it. I think the result will be worth the time and effort expended.

You guys are very very kind to be so patient with me. I appreciate all the emails of encouragement and support. Especially in the midst of this job transition which has been demanding on me. Brian fully deserves a ton of credit for helping to keep me motivated.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 21st November 2009, 02:05 AM   #710
macrog is offline macrog  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Thumbs down Is there likely to be a prebuilt sabre32 sold

Hello I really want to buy a maxed out Sabre32 dac. Is there likely to be prebuilt ones sold by Twisted Pear of the new design? I have emailed twisted Pear but received no reply.

As I am in New Zealand I need a 230 volt version. I was thinking with Placids and multiple transformers maxed out power supplies etc.

Hide this!Advertise here!