• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Twisted Pear Audio - Buffalo32S (ES9018 DAC)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Folks,

I have to say I can finally sleep after a couple of weeks of sweating Buffalo32S and going over every detail in my head a million times.

Mad props go out to Brian for his incredible prototyping skill. I have to give him the credit he deserves.

He built up that first prototype with no stencil! Now that's awesome.

I am just so glad that its working well.

Cheers!
Russ

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Looks great, sure it sounds as great too! I'm looking forward to the next round of orders (may give this one a miss). I have only one question - is the popping fixed? Russ, this one is for you as you have the same experience as me. It'd be good to know, and enough of a reason for the upgrade for me.

If you like the Buffalo, you guys are going to really like the Buffalo32S. :)

The power supply arrangement and new routing has helped quite a bit.

There is no audible noise on the outputs. :)

The AVCC reg is doing a spectacular job.

AVCC is a voltage reference as well as the analog supply. That is why it can be though of as having a poor PSRR, but that is not fully accurate. Because any modulation or noise here while not good will be common mode to the balanced outputs, and will be very effectively canceled later down the line if you use an I/V stage like I do, that is super symmetrical.

In any case my AVCC supply noise should be extremely low, though I honestly don't have suitable gear to measure signals that small.

But what really matters to me is that it sound great, and that means it gets out of the way of the music. This it does very well. :)

Anyway Brian is sending one off for us to get tested. We should have some numbers to go along with the listening impressions soon.

Cheers!
Russ

Russ White said:
If you like the Buffalo, you guys are going to really like the Buffalo32S. :)

Anyway Brian is sending one off for us to get tested. We should have some numbers to go along with the listening impressions soon.

Cheers!
Russ

Hi Russ,

this is great news. Are you going to publish the numbers and curves here or on your support forum?

Cheers

Thomas

NicMac said:

And it is about twice the price of the Buffalo24/IVY combo...

Or Buffalo24/Counterpoint. ;)
It makes me wonder how much a Sabre32 with integrated discrete I/V stages would cost considering the current pricing policy... Certainly too much to justify an upgrade from Sabre24+Counterpoints. :smash:
I just hope Russ and Brian will revise the price at some point before pre-orders.

Hey guys,

Just a note about the Buffalo32S pricing, we are doing our best to keep the Buffalo32S price reasonable. The price reflects the increase in cost of the components used along with a similar increase in production costs.

For example, the clock, resistors, caps, VREGs, etc are all more expensive on this board, and there are more of them. This board has something like 4 times (I will have to count) as many components as the older Buffalo.

One example is that we found that resistor matching plays a key role in distortion of the output stage. So all the resistors in the analog section are .1% thin film SMT types which are not cheap. This same approach was taken for caps etc. We did not skimp on anything. We wanted it to be a world class DAC. I wanted the layout and implementation to live up to the promise of the chip.

Add to that the cost of assembly and testing and the time it takes to do all this and it all adds up. Keep in mind also that Brian and I have spent (so far) hundreds of hours designing,producing, and testing this beast too.

Now having heard the Buffalo32S DAC, I can tell you I couldn't be more satisfied with the result. The increase in quality and value is more than proportional to the increase in cost.

Brian and I really appreciate your support and welcome your feedback.

Cheers!
Russ

Hi Russ,

before the prices were listed on the website, there was also also a package containing an buffalo 32s, digital p/s and 2 analogue p/s modules. now only a package containing 1 analogue p/s is mentioned.

why has the package with 2 analogues been scrapped? no noticable difference in sound?

Cant wait till pre-ordering opens!

Scanspeakman

scanspeakman said:
Hi Russ,

before the prices were listed on the website, there was also also a package containing an buffalo 32s, digital p/s and 2 analogue p/s modules. now only a package containing 1 analogue p/s is mentioned.

why has the package with 2 analogues been scrapped? no noticable difference in sound?

Cant wait till pre-ordering opens!

Scanspeakman

I think Brian is still updating the page so it could still be an option.

I have not tested it with separate bipolar supplies yet. In my mind I am not sure how it could make it much better. :) But the option is there if you so choose.

Cheers!
Russ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.