Twisted Pear Audio - Buffalo32S (ES9018 DAC) - Page 43 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 2nd June 2009, 08:04 PM   #421
diyAudio Member

oh boy.....after reading all these (positive) review I am getting more and more frustrated every day that my buffalo32s still hasn't arrived. The package is still stuck/missing somewhere in the customs procedure..............

Scanspeakman
Old 2nd June 2009, 09:23 PM   #422
HaLo6 is offline HaLo6  United States
diyAudio Member

European customs.... (I used to live in Italy, I remember the pain)
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:01 PM   #423
Javin5 is offline Javin5  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

I live in Switzerland, and my 32s arrived over a week ago. And yes, there was a customs charge, but this didn't delay it in a any way.

Kurt
Old 3rd June 2009, 06:02 AM   #424
brgds is offline brgds  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brgds
Guys, how much time needs BUF to break-in? I launched my yesterday and must say the first few quarters were terrible, after two hours was much better, but I feel the bigger potential is there...
I meant burn in time of course
I've switched from batteries to regulators (based on 317/337) and must say that now the sound is even worse
Okey, I forgot to connect analog and digital grounds, that helped a bit as for upper band, but overal sound is still dull and flat...
That's strange, since I had listened to BUF (based on 32S I guess) few months ago and my feelings were very, very positive then.
Old 3rd June 2009, 07:51 AM   #425
3lviz is offline 3lviz  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I meant burn in time of course
I've switched from batteries to regulators (based on 317/337) and must say that now the sound is even worse
Okey, I forgot to connect analog and digital grounds, that helped a bit as for upper band, but overal sound is still dull and flat...
That's strange, since I had listened to BUF (based on 32S I guess) few months ago and my feelings were very, very positive then.
Mine has not changed much after the first days.

Imo, either
a) there is still something broken or
b) you are feeding it with overly compressed contemporary music that sounds flat
c) The synergy between B32s and your other hardware
d) you just don't like it .

Solutions:
a) Contact Russ and Brian
b) Try some other kind of music around -4db replay gain
c) Try it with some other equipment
d) Try to swap it to some other DAC. If its a working unit, i am sure there are people who'd like to have one.

The 1st B32s's were shipped less than a month ago. I wonder if it was Buffalo 1.0 what you heard.
Old 3rd June 2009, 09:26 AM   #426
diyAudio Member

>The 1st B32s's were shipped less than a month ago. I wonder if it >was Buffalo 1.0 what you heard.

The one I listened to was that one owned by Lukasz Fikus: http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/REFE...uffaloDAC.html
and nothing changed in my system since then, so no hardware and also soft related issues here.
Old 3rd June 2009, 11:24 AM   #427
diyAudio Member

Quote:
>The 1st B32s's were shipped less than a month ago. I wonder if it >was Buffalo 1.0 what you heard.

The one I listened to was that one owned by Lukasz Fikus: http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/REFE...uffaloDAC.html
Lukasz has (of had) a different dac. The dac he showed on his site is the original buffalo board designed for the ess 9008 but with the 9018 chip installed. That board has no I/V onboard. That is probably why it sounds different; the buffalo32s has the IVY II onboard and Lukasz used the modified board with his own tube based I/V.

Scanspeakman
Old 3rd June 2009, 11:29 AM   #428
diyAudio Member

You are right, different output stage... And the sound should be different... But why it's so compressed and not involving at all?
Old 3rd June 2009, 11:31 AM   #429
diyAudio Member

..and I used Lukasz DAC without tubed stage - with blocking caps directly from 9018
Old 3rd June 2009, 11:37 AM   #430
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
You are right, different output stage... And the sound should be different... But why it's so compressed and not involving at all?

Quite simply because designing a great output stage is not as simple as it may seem.

There alaso may be other factors at work, in any case what you heard was not a Buffalo32S. Nor was it even a Buffalo configured per our recommendations.

Cheers!
Russ

Hide this!Advertise here!