Twisted Pear Audio - Buffalo32S (ES9018 DAC) - Page 40 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twisted Pear

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 28th May 2009, 04:45 AM   #391
brgds is offline brgds  Poland
diyAudio Member

Guys, how much time needs BUF to break-in? I launched my yesterday and must say the first few quarters were terrible, after two hours was much better, but I feel the bigger potential is there...
Old 28th May 2009, 12:03 PM   #392
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HaLo6
Tom, I use the LCDPS for both the digital section and a mux, it works great!
Awesome

much love to the community ><
Old 28th May 2009, 03:16 PM   #393
hybride is offline hybride  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I want to put low some low esr buffercaps at output voltages on the B32.
With the buffalo 1,2 it had a nice effect on sonics.
Russ, Brian, can you print/sign the locations of the output voltages from regulators on the B32 print?

P.s. Sended a few emails to the 'questions' adress at twisted pair. No answer in days..? why?
Old 28th May 2009, 03:22 PM   #394
diyAudio Member

Where exactly are you thinking of doing this? The EL caps on the B32 are OSCONs, so I doubt you will find a lower-ESR cap to replace them.
Old 28th May 2009, 03:50 PM   #395
hybride is offline hybride  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

At the V1.2 I buffered Vref, C11 and C12 (3,3 volt) with a panasonic FM.
This was a nice little tweak. Some did a tougher job with psu. See att.
Not that i have any complains about the B32. It is just a habbit to tweak with psu ;-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg klein.jpg (58.5 KB, 866 views)
Old 28th May 2009, 05:36 PM   #396
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
I think he means at the AVCC pins?

If so its really easy to find those caps.

C1 and C2.

But I doubt its going to do much to add capacitance since there are already extremely low ESR caps there, and anything they don't bypass will be sourced by the opamps at very low impedance.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 28th May 2009, 10:50 PM   #397
Muser is offline Muser  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Nervous Norvis or Nurse Betty

Hi:
Stupid question here - better asked and answered here (I'm hoping) than not asked and risk the consequences, I suppose.

Are the Buffalo Board, and the LCBPS / LCDPS boards able to tolerate for the higher temperatures that lead free tin/silver solder require? The melting temperature is 340 degrees.

In advance, thanks. I bow at the feet of those reposed with such knowledge, and if you good answer my question, I'll also bow at the feet of your dogs, so long as they're potty trained.

Thanks,

Larry

Not sure if the DIY community shares my sense of humor, but I carry mine with me, sort of like American Express. And, seriously, thanks again for your thoughtful replies.
Old 28th May 2009, 11:01 PM   #398
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Default Re: Nervous Norvis or Nurse Betty

Quote:
Originally posted by Muser
Hi:
Stupid question here - better asked and answered here (I'm hoping) than not asked and risk the consequences, I suppose.

Are the Buffalo Board, and the LCBPS / LCDPS boards able to tolerate for the higher temperatures that lead free tin/silver solder require? The melting temperature is 340 degrees.

In advance, thanks. I bow at the feet of those reposed with such knowledge, and if you good answer my question, I'll also bow at the feet of your dogs, so long as they're potty trained.

Thanks,

Larry

Not sure if the DIY community shares my sense of humor, but I carry mine with me, sort of like American Express. And, seriously, thanks again for your thoughtful replies.
Do you mean just for the through hole components?

TH pads should be just fine with lead free solder. But just like any PCB so the dwell on a pad for too long.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 29th May 2009, 10:51 AM   #399
3lviz is offline 3lviz  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HaLo6
After a couple of weeks, I love the new Buffalo32 ... very listenable ... female vocals (Norah Jones, The Cranberries, Carrie Underwood, and Sugarland) just sound amazing! I am listening to old cd's over again! This is truly an amazing product!

Dave Matthews acoustic is just amazing as well!
Yes. When a woman sings through this device I want to kiss somebody. The sound is just amazing.

But...I think if all the other hardware is optimized to be on the darker side of sound Buffalo 32 can be little too much making the sound even darker. Imo, the DAC needs a bit bright or neutral electronics as companion to work correctly. In my case the match up is just perfect (NAD M3 and System Audio Ranger speakers). SA speakers are a bit on the bright side and I just love what this DAC can do to the sound.
Old 29th May 2009, 01:16 PM   #400
3lviz is offline 3lviz  Finland
diyAudio Member

Sound wise the main difference between Benchmark DAC1 and B32S seems to be that while DAC1 produces very detailed sound, it's function is more like taking the focus from actual music to these little details in the sound. Those small details are so forward and easily heard that they affect the percieved rhytm and melody, and many times you end up listening to the sound instead of the music.

B32S focuces more on the musical experience leaving these "fly's farts" in the background, but producing very interesting and dynamic soundscape. I think this is why B32s is so easy to listen to...no...infact you just listen to the music instead of B32. There is no B32s, at least thats how it feels like.

Great product! Thank you Russ & Brian!

Hide this!Advertise here!