• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Twisted Pear Audio - Buffalo32S (ES9018 DAC)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Russ, did you ever get the problem with the 9 bit modulator fixed? I appreciate that 6 bits gave the best DNR, but would still be interested in what it would sound like with lower out of band noise. Thanks!

Oh yes. Long ago. Sorry I forgot to update.

Lets just say I found (with Dustin) that neither 6 or 9 bit quantizer settings were optimal. The quantizer settings in the Buf32S reflect this. :)

The is also a little trick you can do to randomize the modulators so that they are not in synch. This improves THD and DNR. I have implemented this trick as well.

Sometime I will make these settings public for now I would like to keep it private knowledge.

Cheers!
Russ

Hello,

I got to just scan this thread in order to find the information needed. Now, let's assume I found a way to have minimum jitter through a PCI or ethernet interface. The digital comes out from this interface in I2S, 192Khz/32 or 24bits. Is there a way to feed this to the buffalo32S and set the dac as a master? I mean, just don't use the internal jitter reduction, relocking or up sampling.

I am very intrigued of the possibility to use the 8 internal dacs in a dual mono configuration (one chip per channel) but I just want the dac to assume the signal is jitter free and no anti jitter measures are needed. Is this requiring a new firmware?

Thank you!

Hi guys, just assembled my buffalo dac. Sounds great. Now I am looking into more options such as feeding it DSD signal.

My question is, is the spidf switch easily removed? By desoldering or what way? I would like to mount an external switch. Thanks in advance.

I would not recommend that. Your could remove the switch, but remember that the signal actually travels through it.

Hello,

I got to just scan this thread in order to find the information needed. Now, let's assume I found a way to have minimum jitter through a PCI or ethernet interface. The digital comes out from this interface in I2S, 192Khz/32 or 24bits. Is there a way to feed this to the buffalo32S and set the dac as a master? I mean, just don't use the internal jitter reduction, relocking or up sampling.

I am very intrigued of the possibility to use the 8 internal dacs in a dual mono configuration (one chip per channel) but I just want the dac to assume the signal is jitter free and no anti jitter measures are needed. Is this requiring a new firmware?

Thank you!

What you want to do is not supported by the BUffalo32S board.

Still if you really want to do it it can be done. You would have to supply a synchronized master clock. And you would have to remove the on board low jitter/low phase noise clock. Then you would need to use custom firmware to disable the most desirable parts of the chip.

My suggestion is to just feed the DAC I2S and sit back and listen. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Quick question to the TP people: can I control more than one Buf32S with a single Volumite?

I think it would work, but I have not tried it.

Rather an unusual request, isn't it? Might I prevail upon you to please check this in your copious free time? Otherwise I'll have to figure out some hideous kluge to the DSP board. Thanks in advance.

Hi Pepe,

On the latest boards L1 and L2 are already shorted with a jumper (0R Resistor). No need to jumper.

That wire there won't really hurt anything, but it won't help either. :)

There should be a new version of the manual up very soon. Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers!
Russ

Russ,

Have y'all updated the manual yet? ;)

Anand.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.