• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Twisted Pear Audio - Buffalo32S (ES9018 DAC)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cutting Tracks

Folowing the comment of the Buffalo 32 sounding a bit bright in my previous post i have made some adjustments based on information found in this thread: adjsuting VD from 6.6v to 5v and increasing VA from 13.5V to 15V as well as re securing the power supply cable to the Toslink module as it may have been loose due to not finishing the rear panel yet...

Net result is both very detailed and smooth, a well balanced sound and not at all bright, very wide sound stage. Excellent.

:D

Re: Cutting tracks

hisense said:
... but has taken on quite a bright tonal balance, noticably more than before i bridged the pads and cut the tracks....

I agree Luke, I did the same, as suggested by Russ and found the sound to brighten and is now perhaps a little splashy in the treble? On the other hand, the odd strained sounds I noticed in a previous post prior to surgery, have mostly gone.

Ideas anyone?

Russ

leo said:
Thanks for the above link:)

Dacs been running all day, the pcb is getting very warm
The opa1632 are running at 58C, the LME49710 /20 are at 56C, the ES9018 45C

There is lot and lots of current going through the opamps etc. they are going to run hot, its perfectly fine. :)

You can run the analog rails at +/-12V and lower the temps a bit, but you will actually get a bit worse performance. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Re: Cutting tracks

hisense said:
Hi Russ,

The board held lock perfectly and sounded fine prior to bridging the ground pads, i presume the grounds must have been linked somwhere else

There is a semiconductor link (about 12ohms at DC but higher at say 80mhz) in the ES9018 chip itself. This is enough in some cases but not all. :)

I can't think of any reason for the bridge to change things significantly. That does not mean there is none.

Also I am not sure its not OK to run with the GNDs unlinked. I have been for quite some time with no issues. (I have done both). I think it comes down to safety and I think joining the GNDs is the safest and most reliable approach.

Cheers!
Russ

Batteries

Hi all,

I've got a Buffalo controlled by a Volumite, with a PCM2707-based Gamma1 USB board feeding the DAC an I2S data stream.

Incidentally, I'm floored by the sound - just blown away. I've played it for a few people, and they are as, if not more, enthusiastic as I am. Thanks again.

My question is about using a battery based PSU for the Buffalo. I picked up an armful of NiCD AA battery packs at a local Radio Shack (at a significant discount - $7.00 for eight batteries with a regulated charger- as they were on clearance) and was wondering what the voltage tolerances are for the Buffalo's analog and digital supplies.

If I understand correctly, the analog section can handle a range of +/- 12-15V, but can it run on, say, +/- 19.2V safely?

Will the digital section run on 4.8V, or would 6V be a better choice?

Russ, I believe, mentioned that the noise of the entire power supply will be dominated by the local regulators on the Buffalo board, and while I think the LCBPS/LCDPS/Buffalo combination is a fantastic one, the battery opportunity presented itself and I'd like to try them out. I appreciate any guidance in advance.

Slarti

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.