• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Twisted Pear Audio - Buffalo32S (ES9018 DAC)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nielsio:

A picture. Criticisms would be appreciated and I'll answer any questions as best I can.

Slarti

Attachments

• dac.jpg
    dac.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,164
Oneplustwo:

Ha, I figured I'd get dinged on the (lack of) casework. As soon as I fix a few resistors I put in backwards, I'll put this thing in a nice, shiny box.

I'm driving a pair of ~1996 Sennheiser HD-600's in a balanced configuration straight off the Buffalo board, and I haven't put the Volumite to work yet. I haven't tried the DAC on any speakers.

It was immediately apparent to me that the Buffalo beats any source I've listened to by a country mile. As such, I can't add any constructive comparative assessments, sound-wise.

The Buffalo board is under 1.125" and the LCxPS' are a touch under 1.625," both including the supplied standoffs.

Slarti

I was thinking layout like this with Pesante 2U chasis. Do you see something wrong with the wirings (length etc) or layout? I am pretty noob on electronics, but this is how i have understood how it goes, before i read the manual. The voltages are probably better specified in the manual, but this is what i have catched so far.

Attachments

• buffalo_dac_design.png
    buffalo_dac_design.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,126
3lviz said:
I was thinking layout like this with Pesante 2U chasis. Do you see something wrong with the wirings (length etc) or layout? I am pretty noob on electronics, but this is how i have understood how it goes, before i read the manual. The voltages are probably better specified in the manual, but this is what i have catched so far.

VD is 5V

VA is +/-15V There is no 6.6V on the analog side.

Cheers!
Russ

Russ White said:

VD is 5V

VA is +/-15V There is no 6.6V on the analog side.

Cheers!
Russ

Thanks for the correction. I don't know where i picked that 6.6V from.

mjwolf said:
Here is my Buffalo. I need to buy a true case. I am driving a B22. So far the sound stage sounds much wider than any I have hear before.

This is what I have for a case. No, I did not find smaller letters, but weirdly i like the looks :D. The letters seem black in the pic, but they are silver in real life.

I probably get the electronics next week (got a notice from USPS yesterday), but I gotta do the back plate drilling before that, which will be new experience for me as well.

Attachments

• buffalo32s.jpg
    buffalo32s.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 991
Can someone in the US explain how they have the trafo's hooked up to the IEC inlet and the LCDPS and LCBPS? I just want to make sure I am hooking it up correctly... it looks like the last two internal pics of the Sabre32S (in the US) have utilized different trafo hookups.

Got mine this time yesterday.
Working great off Toslink with LCBPS & LCDPS of 10VA & 30VA potted toroidal t'formers.
So smooth & detailed.
I didn't think I'd notice a difference between B32S & Musical Fidelity V-DAC, but I can!
Haven't wired thump-busters in yet, will need to look at that thread for more detail on how to wire them in.

Well done Russ & crew!

mjwolf said:
Here is my Buffalo. I need to buy a true case. I am driving a B22. So far the sound stage sounds much wider than any I have hear before.

Some respected professionals - like dennis morecroft of DNM think that a wooden or plastic enclosure has inherent advantages over a metal casing especially a magnetic metal casing. I would be interested to hear if your DAC sounds different if you mount it in a metal box

cheers

mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.