• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo DAC (ESS Sabre 9008)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Russ and Brian,

I have not received the Buffalo DAC and the other items I purchased on September 13th. I did receive a transaction confirmation from PayPal and my account has been charged. Last week I sent Brian an email asking for an update and he replied that all orders were being shipped on Monday and Tuesday, and I should have mine by the end of the week.
I did send you guys two follow up emails this past Monday and Tuesday but did not receive replies. I am posting this message here in case you are still experiencing server issues.

Buffalo arrived today- thanks very much. SMDs premounted on the IVY as requested, very kind of you. Excellent packaging and great soldering on the premounted stuff. I expect it'll take me a while to get some time to build it, but I'm certainly looking forward to hearing it.
All the best.

grimberg said:
Russ and Brian,

I have not received the Buffalo DAC and the other items I purchased on September 13th. I did receive a transaction confirmation from PayPal and my account has been charged. Last week I sent Brian an email asking for an update and he replied that all orders were being shipped on Monday and Tuesday, and I should have mine by the end of the week.
I did send you guys two follow up emails this past Monday and Tuesday but did not receive replies. I am posting this message here in case you are still experiencing server issues.

Your order should be arriving today or tomorrow.

I'll take this opportunity to apologize to you and some others for what turned out to be a rather long wait for shipping. There were so many orders for the Buffalo this past round (mixed in with other items) that it took me longer than expected to get everything filled and shipped.:hot: I am all caught up now, however.

My wife has pledged to help out when things get crazy in the future so I am not locked away in the basement for weeks at a time, so hopefully that will smooth things out a bit next time.:xeye:

Russ White said:

Nikola, switch 3 should always be low "-".

It actually controls the quantizer setting.

There is an issue when trying to run the 9-bit quantizer (which is default) so please set it low to run the 6-bit quantizer setting.

Cheers!
Russ

Is this still applying to firmware 1.0.3. Will switch 3 control the 6/9 bit quantizer in firmware 1.0.3 ?

Brian,

The package arrived yesterday and this morning I opened it and checked all the boxes and bags. Unfortunately the TOSLINK module did not arrive. Also, the Buffalo board does not have the socket and PIC processor in the IC4 position, nor were they included in the box. That presents another problem since I was counting on the Buffalo to be tested by you guys, as I have no experience troubleshooting a DAC.

coloradosound said:
I have a Denon DVD-2910. I see in the other thread that some
including Russ have modded their Denon players to run this
board in stereo. When the Buffalo becomes available again,
would I be able to use three Buffalo's and get full surround?
Would it be possibe to do for both SACD and DVD-A's?

If so, would anybody have some direction on doing that?

I'm also looking for SM/schematic for DVD-2910.

Anyone, Anyone, Beuler, Beuler?

BrianDonegan said:
No. Version 3 has reverted the switch back to controlling the notch filter.

Then it's using 6 bit quantizer ?

And regarding the notch filter, pls. explain the use of the switch ? To be more specific, which register of the Sabre is controlled by switch 3. I can't find anything in the datasheet that I can relate to notch filter, or notch delay, as described in the manual.

It's properly just me.... :xeye:

Tia.

avr300 said:

Then it's using 6 bit quantizer ?

And regarding the notch filter, pls. explain the use of the switch ? To be more specific, which register of the Sabre is controlled by switch 3. I can't find anything in the datasheet that I can relate to notch filter, or notch delay, as described in the manual.

It's properly just me.... :xeye:

Tia.

Correct. 6bit it is, which as it turns out seems to be the most ideal setting in any case.

The notch filter is not documented in the datasheet, but Dustin informed me that when set to div/64 with the 6-bit quantizer it gives you just a bit better DNR (1 or 2 db).

Cheers!
Russ

Forgiving the unorthodox pre-layout, are there any forseeable problems mounting the torroids this closely to eachother?
1005080144.jpg

The alternative would be to mount them on opposite sides of the plate. Thanks.

Brian,

The package arrived yesterday and this morning I opened it and checked all the boxes and bags. Unfortunately the TOSLINK module did not arrive. Also, the Buffalo board does not have the socket and PIC processor in the IC4 position, nor were they included in the box. That presents another problem since I was counting on the Buffalo to be tested by you guys, as I have no experience troubleshooting a DAC.

Sorry about that. The last few that went out were a separate batch and I forgot IC4 for each of them. I'll send you IC4 tomorrow morning.

As for testing, I do that on a jig I made up, and use the uC header rather then the firmware on IC4. That's just the problem though. I did the testing, and just packed them up, forgetting the final step in my haste.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.