• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo DAC (ESS Sabre 9008)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1) Dustin told me that the interface pins on the ES9008 and ES9018 are 5V tolerant, but I have never tested it. The comparator *should* be ok but I have never tried it. If you have TTL level SPDIF I would just not use the comparator anyway. :)

2) Yes, but I would edit the firmware, it's not ideal. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Thanks Russ,
what is not ideal in that firmware the register settings or other things?
If it's the register settings which register is better to change with which value?

Thanks again

Ciao
Andrea

Russ I am very excited about Buf32sII and all the new possibilities but I clearly don't understand them. Could you point me to an explanation of same? For example what does Buf 32s II improve over I? What are the new analogue and digital power supply options, what are the benefits of each over the baseline (Buf32s and vintage early 2009 ps's)?

Thanks glt but should an owner of the Buf32s I replace ps's or the go the whole route of Buf32sII?

If you are good in modding, you can try cutting the traces for the DAC analog supply and purchase the small PS daughter board. However, i don't think you will distinguish between the two. But that would be kind of risky because there are no schematics, and that is a real nice (and relatively expensive) board that you can potentially mess up. You can try selling it to DIY-challenged friends.

The Buf32s I has the added advantage of having the IVY in the same board, thus the routing and connections are optimized.

I think the real reason for Buf II was to 1- to satisfy people like us with the urge to tweak everything (thus we hang around in this diy board :)) and 2- to price it more competitively to reflect present market conditions.

The actual XO is the same as the one on the Buff32.

I see. When you mentioned the custom 20ppm XO, I thought it was new for Buff II. Do you know if it has better phase noise spec than the 25-50 ppm standard part?

A separate Q: There are reports of the ESS chip running "pretty warm". Would heatsinking (like those in the VGA chips) be beneficial?

Are all Buffalo 1 ( ESS 9008 ) boards factory tested ?

Hi

Well, I took a closer look at my Buffalo Rev. 1.2 board and it seems,
as there are some pins of the ESS 9008 connected, bad soldering.
I state, maybe, cause even using a magnifying glass, I am not sure.

So, before assembling, my question ,are these factory tested ?

BR

Gary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.