• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo DAC (ESS Sabre 9008)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I do not think adding earth ground to this circuit will prevent an existing ground loop, if that is the issue.
Agreed. That is not the issue I am struggling with (you correctly identified the continuing SPDIF mystery with my Roku).

I notice the the DAC is very sensitive (it resets itself) to any small glitch on the ground someplace. For example, I hooked my scope up to the SPDIF input. As I touched the probe to the wire the DAC briefly lost lock and then engaged again. (Keeping the probe fixed was fine; just he moment of contact - a small glitch - caused this behavior.)

All of this leads me to believe (in my increasingly desperate attempts at trying to understand what might be going on here) that there is some kind of a generic grounding issue. Right now the whole DAC is floating. So is the Roku (so is the Oppo with which I don't have any problems when using it as a source). I have carefully measured and visualized on the scope what's on the SPDIF output of the Roku and that looks clean. I can't find any spurious high or low frequencies on that either.

Ultimately I may have to go with a proper electrical insulation. That's fine, but first I want to make sure I actually know what the problem is lest something else happen down the line...

peter

I notice the the DAC is very sensitive (it resets itself) to any small glitch on the ground someplace. For example, I hooked my scope up to the SPDIF input. As I touched the probe to the wire the DAC briefly lost lock and then engaged again. (Keeping the probe fixed was fine; just he moment of contact - a small glitch - caused this behavior.)

peter

Same setup here as you have, and same sensitivity to gound bounce. I have a harvested pulse trafo, I'll try and isolate my Squeezebox.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
schro: I'm in the same boat. I find it is a lot less sensitive now that I have four physically separate transformers. I had rested the DAc for six months but recommissioned it recently. It glitches a little when mains would fluctuate. The output from the soundcard is transformer-coupled so that's not it.

I have a similar sensitivity issue... If I turn on/off any light switches or appliances connected to power sockets in my bedroom (the domestic ring that the DAC is on) the DAC momentarily looses lock / appears to reset itself.

It is not a problem, but just wanted to add my $.2 to those trying to troubleshoot their own configs!

Buff32 resets

I have this problem also and I am wondering if better mains isolation would help. I use to use jon risch's (audioasylum) digital isolation technique (two 12V secondaries connected together with a few caps and resistor) but dropped this when I went to a felix common mode mains filter, but I will put the isolation transformer set back end and see if that makes any difference.

Russ, or Brian.
So the Buffalo24 has series reg on the board for dig and ana sections.
Just checking out the Placid, would there be any benefit with Buff24 to
using shunt reg? If so would best benfit be realized by bypassing onboard regs.
More benefit to analog side than digital?

I asked myself the same question, and ordered the Placid X 2 for analog and digital supplies to feed my Buffalo24 ver. 1.2.

I would take a stab at saying the Placid will be stiffer, but would like to hear Russ or Brian's more knowledgable response.

BTW, I just completed building the Placid Bipolar supply for another project and I can't say how ultimately impressed and pleased I am with how this little supply works. Hats off to both Brian and Russ for such outstanding goodies for the diy community. Totally look forward to more stuff in the future.

(hehe, we're asking how do you feed a buffalo, hehe:p)

Last edited:
I asked myself the same question, and ordered the Placid X 2 for analog and digital supplies to feed my Buffalo24 ver. 1.2.

I would take a stab at saying the Placid will be stiffer, but would like to hear Russ or Brian's more knowledgable response.

BTW, I just completed building the Placid Bipolar supply for another project and I can't say how ultimately impressed and pleased I am with how this little supply works. Hats off to both Brian and Russ for such outstanding goodies for the diy community. Totally look forward to more stuff in the future.

(hehe, we're asking how do you feed a buffalo, hehe:p)

digger, have you tried your Placid boards w/ Buffalo24 yet? (assuming you have received
Placid)
Good Buffalo food?
If so do you feed the Buff 24 board as configured or bypass the regs already on the board?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.