• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Markaudio New Full Range Driver Alpair 5 Gen.2

Alpair 5.2 cutout/rebate specs?

Going to go ahead and build the Bloodhound boxes for these drivers even though being able to actually buy them might be a month away or more. Does anyone have the Mark Audio spec sheet on these or can maybe tell me the cutout and rebate dimensions? I got the wood cut about a week ago and I have the time to build since I'm of work for a few weeks since I had a bad run in with my table saw (lost about 1/8 of a inch off my right thumb). I am currently in the finishing stages of completing my Maeshowe and Silbury builds. I'll post pictures once I'm done.

Thanks

Awesome,

Really curious about pro/cons about spider-less. Just looking at the paper, A5.2 does not have a less Mms compared to Alpair5 Gen1. On the other end, ATC even uses dual spider for their tweeters to avoid "rocking mode", and is also a highly regarded brand.

I have a few pair of MA drivers and enjoyed them very much. If A5.2 is an improvement on A7.3 from 100hz up, I will get a pair no doubt.

Thanks Dave!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I did do a quick listening test a week ago Sunday. These are 2 very good little speakers. It wa stoo close to tell in this test, the Alpair might be a littler less coloured, but i need to set up a system where i can more quickly switch the DUT or get someone to help. It is currently slow switching as i hobble over to the speakers and carefully switch them other.

I might well have to put a set of A5.2 into the Frugel-Horn Lites so as to get more empasis on the low end capabilities.

dave

Update: i don’t know where i got the idea that the A5.2 had a dimple in the dustup… just took a dozen off the break-in bench , no dimple.

but i need to set up a system where i can more quickly switch the DUT or get someone to help. It is currently slow switching as i hobble over to the speakers and carefully switch them other.

time for one of these? A12 | Rotel

only feature that you might miss is power amp input/loop but then for a price an intrepid hacker might even be able to outfit that

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Nice looking piece of kit. Anything with remote control speaker switch would do, better yet if levels would automatically switch as well. With the very similar sensitivity of the A5.2eN and FF85wKeN is not needed it would be with other speakers.

I was actually thinking about the tube-buffered LM3875 amp downstairs that we added swictable speaker capability to. Need to string some longer speaker lines, but that is doable.

dave