• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Cabinets made with Finland Birch Plywood

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Tony,

Just a bit of feedback, after about 100 hours listening/breakin. I received a pair of your Birch ply Till 70 BR speakers, I fitted the Gen 3 CHR-70, the vocals are very real-life sounding. The finish on the speaker boxes is smooth to touch, all in all, an excellent detailed sound and fine-looking small speaker. I am very happy with them. Did you go any further investigating flatpacks to save shipping costs? Thanks, Ian.

Hi Ian,

Thank you very much for your comments.

As I understand, should the flatpack be panel which is not assembled to cabinet? Am I right?

Thanks,
Tony.

Hi Tony,

Just a bit of feedback, after about 100 hours listening/breakin. I received a pair of your Birch ply Till 70 BR speakers, I fitted the Gen 3 CHR-70, the vocals are very real-life sounding. The finish on the speaker boxes is smooth to touch, all in all, an excellent detailed sound and fine-looking small speaker. I am very happy with them. Did you go any further investigating flatpacks to save shipping costs? Thanks, Ian.

As I understand, should the flatpack be panel which is not assembled to cabinet? Am I right?

Yes, that is what I was thinking. For some DIY'ers like myself, sourcing the wood and cutting it accurately is difficult, but glue and clamps to assemble the cabinet is not too difficult, then sand and finish it. Also cutting the hole for the driver and the recess for the driver are difficult without the correct power tools.

Thanks,
Ian.

Yes, that is what I was thinking. For some DIY'ers like myself, sourcing the wood and cutting it accurately is difficult, but glue and clamps to assemble the cabinet is not too difficult, then sand and finish it. Also cutting the hole for the driver and the recess for the driver are difficult without the correct power tools.

Thanks,
Ian.

Initially I was thinking the same way as you do, after trying to route a few holes one can get quite competent at doing them. Making the cabinet is not difficult it is getting a good to excellent finishing is far more difficult. It both time consuming and needs a lot of patience to obtain a good finish.

I join a local carpentry club so I don't need to buy expensive equipment like a table saw. It is very convenient that way.

Hi Ian,

I never glue and clamps to assemble panels into cabinet, so not know how difficult is. I think it needs some technique and experience.

Thanks,
Tony.

Thanks,
Ian.

Just finished Pensil 7.3 today.

Attachments

• Pensil 7.3-6.jpg
    Pensil 7.3-6.jpg
    791.1 KB · Views: 475
  • Pensil 7.3-5.jpg
    Pensil 7.3-5.jpg
    794.5 KB · Views: 449
  • Pensil 7.3-7.jpg
    Pensil 7.3-7.jpg
    792 KB · Views: 426
Wide Classic 70.3

Hi Tony,

I have just completed running in my wide classic 70.3 drivers.

The performance is really astonishing from such a small driver. I can feel the low bass and it is tight.

Wonder if 7.3 driver would provide significant improvement. :D

Regards,
Neo

Hi Neo,

The wide classic CGR 70.3 dCHR-Ken70 cabinet in Finland birch plywood with CHR-70.3 has great potential. I listened the speakers today and surprised at the sound performance at the entry level price.

Cheers,
Tony.

Hi Tony,

I have just completed running in my wide classic 70.3 drivers.

The performance is really astonishing from such a small driver. I can feel the low bass and it is tight.

Wonder if 7.3 driver would provide significant improvement. :D

Regards,
Neo

Attachments

• CGR-W15.jpg
    CGR-W15.jpg
    817 KB · Views: 639
  • DSCN5281.jpg
    DSCN5281.jpg
    793.1 KB · Views: 604
Hi Soren,

Thank you for your interest in my cabinets. The cabinet drawing you gave is for Alpair 7 Gen.2. The cabinet of wide classic GR dMar-Ken7 I make and sell is designed for Alpair 7 Gen.3 and the dimension is different with the one for Alpair 7 Gen.2. The existing stock of the cabinet are with grills and sockets. The price of cabinets is US$150 per pair. The material of the cabinet is Finnish WISA birch plywood in 18 mm thickness.

The shipping cost via air mail of the one pair of Alpair 7.3 cabinets to Spain is US$115.

Thanks,
Tony.

Hello Tony,

I may be interested in a pair of Wide Classic GR Mar-Ken7.3 cabinets in Finland WISA birch plywood for my Alpair 7.3s. I'd like them fitted with binding posts but without grills and sockets.

How much would these cost shipped to Spain?

Regards,
Søren

Today, we had chance to listen the performance of my friend's Western Electric vintage 274B rectifier on 300BSE and Alpair 7.3 wide classic GR dMar-Ken bookshelf. Made me very surprised, the sound of 274B is very different with 5U4G and GZ34, 274B is full of power, dynamic, clarity and balance. 274B is magic.

Attachments

• 274B-1.jpg
    274B-1.jpg
    821.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 274B-2.jpg
    274B-2.jpg
    825.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 274B-3.jpg
    274B-3.jpg
    790 KB · Views: 113
I'm pleased to receive a pair of cabinets under the design of miniOnken dMar-Ken7.3 for Alpair 7.3. Thanks for Dave's work on the plan which he spent a lot of time. The plan is great and beautiful. The workmanship of the cabinets are very nice. I like it so much.

Attachments

• dMar-Ken7.3-02.jpg
    dMar-Ken7.3-02.jpg
    806.1 KB · Views: 145
  • dMar-Ken7.3-01.jpg
    dMar-Ken7.3-01.jpg
    796.1 KB · Views: 117
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.