• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mark visited Kenneth's work place

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm glad to introduce a local experienced transformer engineer in Hong Kong, Mr. Kenneth Wong. Kenneth has been working in the field for over 30 years. He produced a lot of audiophile graded transformers of audio amplifiers, such as power transformers for 300B, 2A3, EL34, KT88, 211, output transformers for single end and push pull tube amps and chokes. All of his transformers are hand made. Today I'm pleased to invite Mark Fenlon to visit Kenneth's work place where located in the industrial building in Fotan. It is a small flat in 200 square feet. Kenneth makes his transformers there. He also loves music and tube amps. He likes to custom-makes and modify tube amplifiers by special order. There is a listening area where Kenneth demos tube amps and tune the sound.

Attachments

• DSCN4030.jpg
    DSCN4030.jpg
    816.3 KB · Views: 734
  • DSCN4029.jpg
    DSCN4029.jpg
    818.8 KB · Views: 683
  • DSCN4031.jpg
    DSCN4031.jpg
    806.9 KB · Views: 621
Kenneth was introducing the output transformer he made for a customer in Hong Kong. This is a EI output transformer for 300B mono block power amps. The quality and finishing of the transformers are excellent.

Attachments

• DSCN4021.jpg
    DSCN4021.jpg
    795.2 KB · Views: 592
  • DSCN4022.jpg
    DSCN4022.jpg
    786.5 KB · Views: 521
  • DSCN4023.jpg
    DSCN4023.jpg
    793.3 KB · Views: 326
We listened modified Opera 300B mono block power amps with Kenneth's transformers. The preamp is Twin Audio 12AX7-6SN7 tube amp. The speakers is old Fostex FE166 in transmission line cabinets.
Twin Audio will provide Mark Audio full range speakers to Kenneth for demo later.

Attachments

• DSCN4033.jpg
    DSCN4033.jpg
    808.2 KB · Views: 217
  • DSCN4032.jpg
    DSCN4032.jpg
    772.4 KB · Views: 252
Hi Guys,
We had a vey interesting afternoon with Kenneth. I've lived in Hong Kong for over 10 years so it still amazes me to find audio gems like Kenneth. In a age where it's becoming hard to find anything hand-crafted in the audio industry, Kenneth shines.

His transformers appear to me as much a work of audio art rather than purely a humble transformer. Attention to detail in materials selection Kenneth says is critical. It takes Kenneth 3 solid days of work to wind a transformer.

Such is Kenneth's quality of work that he successfully gained his EU (Germany) CE build license in 2005.

Cheers

Mark.

Kenneth is good at setting up speakers and tuning sound through change of positions. The sound of Pensil 7 is improving... Under the control of 300B, I never heard the sound of Pensil 7 in such detailed, refined, musical, dynamic...

Attachments

• P7-15.jpg
    P7-15.jpg
    801.2 KB · Views: 291
  • P7-16.jpg
    P7-16.jpg
    796.4 KB · Views: 183
  • P7-13.jpg
    P7-13.jpg
    832.1 KB · Views: 244
Today, I and Mark went to visit Kenneth again. This is the first time for Mark to listen his full range speakers at Kenneth place. We listened Pensil 7 with Alpair 7 gun-metal gray color. The speakers were installed by Tony.

These are Kenneth's set-up:
Twin Audio 12AT7-6SL7 preamp,
Opera M500 300B mono-block power amps with Kenneth's power transformers, chokes and double C-core output transformers,
Sony DVD player (100V Japanese version)

Attachments

• DSCN4060.jpg
    DSCN4060.jpg
    816 KB · Views: 434
  • DSCN4057.jpg
    DSCN4057.jpg
    815.3 KB · Views: 386
  • DSCN4068.jpg
    DSCN4068.jpg
    797 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
The sound of Pensil 7 driven by Kenneth's system is very remarkable and amazing. The Pensil 7 performed very balanced sound. The high range is transparent and detailed, the mid is smooth and warm and bass is deep and solid. There is very good extension of sound stage. To make me surprised that the sound of Pensil 7 doesn't like 4 inch full range driver, it sounds like the driver more than 4 inch. This is the best sounded Pensil 7 I ever listened.

Attachments

• DSCN4069.jpg
    DSCN4069.jpg
    814.5 KB · Views: 328
  • DSCN4059.jpg
    DSCN4059.jpg
    817.3 KB · Views: 305
  • DSCN4061.jpg
    DSCN4061.jpg
    808.8 KB · Views: 101
Kenneth's tips: To place a thick wood plate on the top of cabinet of Pensil 7 can achieve better focus (if box is light wood construction). Mark's tips: Add or reduce damping inside box according to personal taste.

Attachments

• DSCN4072.jpg
    DSCN4072.jpg
    782.3 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Hi Guys,
I've first met Kenneth last year at a listening event in Hong Kong. His love of music and enthusiasm for designing and making transformers is second to none.

We lent Kenneth a pair of Pencil 7's two weeks back. He's played with his transformers on 300B amp combinations to produce the best sound I've hear to date from Alpair 7 drivers in Pencil. The clarity and presence was wonderful, particularly on vocals and percussion. The best came on Kenneth's "C" type units at matched 4 ohm.

I wish there were more like Kenneth. In a world where thousands of dollars are spent on so called "high end", here we a have a modest one-man operation in a little workshop, on the edge of Hong Kong doing genuine and gifted work. Anyone who buys Kenneth's work is getting a bargain.

Many congratulations to Kenneth. His ability making transformers is remarkable.

Cheers

Mark.

Attachments

• kenneth.jpg
    kenneth.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 261
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.