Extra Thin Cabinet? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twin Audio

Twin Audio Twin Audio is a manufacturer of hand made audiophile tube amplifiers.

Old 31st October 2010, 06:33 AM   #1
borispm is offline borispm  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to borispm
Default Extra Thin Cabinet?

Tony,

How thin is the thinnest mdf suitable for building speaker cabinets? I was browsing madisound and found a couple of interesting 2" drivers
, and I think even 1/2" board will overkill those drivers and I want to know if it's possible to make a cabinet no wider than 3".

I have some ideas on that, and I actually want to grab a couple of those and build a whole micro HT out of them as they are irresistibly cheap, even when the shipping is considered.

Boris
Old 31st October 2010, 04:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Boris,

The thinnest MDF cabinets can make is 9 mm. But I never use this kind of thin cabinets.

Tony.
Old 31st October 2010, 04:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

With those robust Markaudio drivers, I bet you won't want to use that ;-)

The story may change a little bit if the front baffle and the top and bottom "caps" are regular 1/2" affairs and with some internal bracing though. With some bitumen pads, that may even work IMO.

Boris
Old 31st October 2010, 04:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Can you share your experience with me?

Tony.
Old 1st November 2010, 02:54 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I am trying to develop a new construction that is generally used when aluminum cabinets are built. Those aluminum cabinets have extruded "tube" as the body and thicker casted end-caps as the top and bottom to complete the cab and at the same time increase the strength. Piega and Audica (the Pro division) have been mastering that design for years, and I am trying to use that technique in mdf construction, and the original idea was to build a curved back cabinet using aluminum sheets or glass fiber/epoxy, and use thick mdf as the "backbone". It is a bit hard to do though. So what came in mind is to use mdf with bitumen instead.

This is a bit experimental, and I am not sure if those cabs can last for decades, but IMO they should work somehow.

Cheers,

Boris

P.S. I'm not an engineering major, so my opinions may not be always correct.
Old 1st November 2010, 04:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

It is good idea. Please advise the results after the trial.

Cheers,
Tony.
Old 19th November 2010, 07:22 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Boris,

I'm interested to try Aura 50mm full range driver in a mini box with 9mm MDF. If I need more bass, which cabinet (bass reflex and sealed box) should I make?

Thanks,
Tony.
Old 19th November 2010, 02:20 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Tony,

Now you changed your mind! ;-) I recommend 4 drivers per box in a line array configuration, with a 2.4 L bass reflex box and the port should be two 1/2" cuts from a 1/2" board (maybe as the front baffle). The outer two drivers will have an inductor in series, maybe something like 8.5mH if you're using those 16 ohm drivers. If those are planned to be pushed hard, remember to add a high pass filter!
Old 19th November 2010, 03:45 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Boris,

4 drivers per box in a line array configuration, with a 2.4 L bass reflex box is enough for 4 drivers? The 50mm driver is 8 ohm. Without filter, how to connect the 4 drivers in line array? Series+parallel? I prefer a single driver first.
Old 20th November 2010, 01:41 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Tony,

My 4 drivers array design's meant for the 16 ohm drivers, and it's a 1 1/2 way design to improve the bass. If you want a 4 drivers array for 8 ohm, you may have to stick with series and parallel approach, and then add a passive equalizer. In fact, 2.4L is pretty sufficient for those drivers, if you go even larger and lower tuning, the group delay will be horrible and the port tuning will be even sharper.

Those speakers are not super loud, and if you are planning to use them other than desktop speakers, say in a 200 square feet room, you will be driving them pretty hard and that's the last thing you want to do. So, to mitigate the problem, I would prefer to use multiple drivers.

If you are using 8 ohm drivers, you can try two in parallel with one connected in series with a 8.5mH inductor and you will end up with a 1 1/2 way speaker. The volume should be 1.2L with the same 1/2" hole on a 1/2" thick baffle.

Hide this!Advertise here!