• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Bass Reflex Bookshelf Cabinets for Mark Audio Alpair 7 Full Range Driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is a new bass reflex bookshelf cabinet for Alpair 7 full range. It is a mid sized box and the dimension is 200Wx245Dx310Hmm. It is built by 20 mm oakwood.

A7-14.jpg

Mark Audio Alpair 7 full range driver:
Alpair 7 Driver | Markaudio

Last edited:
I think Dave's less interested in ease of use (the ones he mentions are not exactly difficult) than sonics. He's a proponent of minimising the amount of cheap metals etc. in the signal path, a little like Eichmann do with their phono-plugs. Which is a fair point, contacts generally are the source of most problems.

Hi Scott,

That's OK.

The cost of copper is becoming more and more expensive now. Should use high quality connectors in the signal path.

Thanks.
Tony.

Yes indeed; connectors have likely caused more problems than wire itself ever has. They need to be good, and a lot of the pretty ones (e.g. WBT clones etc) in fact aren't up to much. Decent low-mass examples, like the ones Dave favours, don't look so pretty, but arguably do a better job, long-term. Some of the Cardas connectors are good too, but at a heck of a price.

Yes indeed; connectors have likely caused more problems than wire itself ever has. They need to be good, and a lot of the pretty ones (e.g. WBT clones etc) in fact aren't up to much. Decent low-mass examples, like the ones Dave favours, don't look so pretty, but arguably do a better job, long-term. Some of the Cardas connectors are good too, but at a heck of a price.

The prices for WBT, Cardas connectors are crazy. I'm using Chinese binding posts with clear poly resin cover at the end. The clear resin may be Arylic or PS. They are not expensive. Also using CMC binding posts which are made in Taiwan. The finishing and quality of CMC posts are better than the Chinese posts. The price of CMC is reasonable. For the tube sockets, CMC is very nice and very good contacts with tubes. We often use CMC connectors in our mid to high level amplifiers.

Thanks.

These are Telfon tube sockets.

Attachments

• Telfon8-2.jpg
    Telfon8-2.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 839
  • KT88SEII-18.jpg
    KT88SEII-18.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 839
I think CMC have some pretty good ones made from pure copper, and with decent solder lugs for the internal wire. I haven't used them though so can't give a definitive view.

Dave what is your main concern with the connectors, the materials used, the ability to hand tighten? Do you use a spade on the end of your speaker cables?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
In this case mostly the ease of use. I find these particular plastic shrouded ones hard to use, and if not standard 3/4" spacing, imposible to use with the double pomona banana plugs on the cables we use.

After going thru a ton of binding post iterations we actually ended up with little cups (another thing with binding posts mounted like this is that they are hard to solder)

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.