Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twin Audio

Twin Audio Twin Audio is a manufacturer of hand made audiophile tube amplifiers.

Old 17th May 2010, 02:43 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I think Dave's less interested in ease of use (the ones he mentions are not exactly difficult) than sonics. He's a proponent of minimising the amount of cheap metals etc. in the signal path, a little like Eichmann do with their phono-plugs. Which is a fair point, contacts generally are the source of most problems.
Old 17th May 2010, 04:09 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
I think Dave's less interested in ease of use (the ones he mentions are not exactly difficult) than sonics. He's a proponent of minimising the amount of cheap metals etc. in the signal path, a little like Eichmann do with their phono-plugs. Which is a fair point, contacts generally are the source of most problems.
Hi Scott,

That's OK.

The cost of copper is becoming more and more expensive now. Should use high quality connectors in the signal path.

Thanks.
Tony.
Old 17th May 2010, 04:20 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Yes indeed; connectors have likely caused more problems than wire itself ever has. They need to be good, and a lot of the pretty ones (e.g. WBT clones etc) in fact aren't up to much. Decent low-mass examples, like the ones Dave favours, don't look so pretty, but arguably do a better job, long-term. Some of the Cardas connectors are good too, but at a heck of a price.
Old 17th May 2010, 04:48 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Yes indeed; connectors have likely caused more problems than wire itself ever has. They need to be good, and a lot of the pretty ones (e.g. WBT clones etc) in fact aren't up to much. Decent low-mass examples, like the ones Dave favours, don't look so pretty, but arguably do a better job, long-term. Some of the Cardas connectors are good too, but at a heck of a price.
The prices for WBT, Cardas connectors are crazy. I'm using Chinese binding posts with clear poly resin cover at the end. The clear resin may be Arylic or PS. They are not expensive. Also using CMC binding posts which are made in Taiwan. The finishing and quality of CMC posts are better than the Chinese posts. The price of CMC is reasonable. For the tube sockets, CMC is very nice and very good contacts with tubes. We often use CMC connectors in our mid to high level amplifiers.

Thanks.

These are Telfon tube sockets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Telfon8-2.jpg (84.3 KB, 703 views)
File Type: jpg KT88SEII-18.jpg (138.6 KB, 698 views)
Old 17th May 2010, 06:26 PM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musik007 View Post
I like this single post. It is easy to use.
Maybe easy to install. Not, in my experience, easy to use. Impossible to use with my speaker cables as you have them installed (that could be fixed by spacing them at the industry standard 3/4")

We have gone as far as replacing them in amplifiers we use regularily.

dave
Old 17th May 2010, 09:08 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I think CMC have some pretty good ones made from pure copper, and with decent solder lugs for the internal wire. I haven't used them though so can't give a definitive view.

Dave what is your main concern with the connectors, the materials used, the ability to hand tighten? Do you use a spade on the end of your speaker cables?
Old 18th May 2010, 12:52 AM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

In this case mostly the ease of use. I find these particular plastic shrouded ones hard to use, and if not standard 3/4" spacing, imposible to use with the double pomona banana plugs on the cables we use.

After going thru a ton of binding post iterations we actually ended up with little cups (another thing with binding posts mounted like this is that they are hard to solder)

dave
Old 19th May 2010, 12:14 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

There are also the binding posts offered by Mark Audio which seem reasonably priced for a set of four. I can't see from the photo though how the cable is attached internally. I prefer a solder joint.

Mark Audio Binding Posts

One issue to consider for EU markets is the CE requirement for insulation...
Old 19th May 2010, 12:52 AM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzagazza View Post
There are also the binding posts offered by Mark Audio which seem reasonably priced for a set of four. I can't see from the photo though how the cable is attached internally. I prefer a solder joint.
The ones you linked to at Mark's site are different. Metal nuts. About 2x the cost of the ones i posted.

dave
Old 21st May 2010, 05:49 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

The net weight of the one pair cabinets is 7 KG.

Hide this!Advertise here!