New 300B single end - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Manufacturers > Twin Audio

Twin Audio Twin Audio is a manufacturer of hand made audiophile tube amplifiers.

Old 1st April 2010, 05:47 PM   #21
joaquim is offline joaquim  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Oh, how I whish I had the money, I've wanted to build me an 300B SE-Amp for, well, as long as I can remeber. Those ballon-shaped 300B-tube, really gives the amp a 1920s look. I like it, though I'm more keen on the "coke-bottle". I hope it gives you lots of pleasure... some day, some day......
Old 2nd April 2010, 10:09 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquim View Post
Oh, how I whish I had the money, I've wanted to build me an 300B SE-Amp for, well, as long as I can remeber. Those ballon-shaped 300B-tube, really gives the amp a 1920s look. I like it, though I'm more keen on the "coke-bottle". I hope it gives you lots of pleasure... some day, some day......
Yes, the 300B amp really makes me enjoy music. TJ Full Music is a active tube maker in China. They have produced high quality audiophile tubes for over 10 years. If you have opportunity, listen Full Music 300B, you will understand what I said. Mark Fenlon also loves Full Music 300B. The 300B he is listening is Full Music 300B Deluxe Limited Edition.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 2nd April 2010, 03:46 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

This is Mark's home. He is using Twin Audio 300B amplifier with Full Music 300B Deluxe Edition.

Old 2nd April 2010, 04:11 PM   #24
joaquim is offline joaquim  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Uh-yeah, I see what you mean! I've made some research on the 'net' and some books I have from 1940's to the middle of 1950's. I also have a friend who build his first LW-radio with two tubes, back during the second world war(we in Sweden didn't suffer that much from WWII, as we stayed "neutral", or rather we sold iron to the Germans, and we smuggled parts for weapon's and tank's to England, and US-special forces, did their training way up north, while we let the Germans use our railways to Finland so we were anything "but" neutral... enough history ). And he use a the 2A3 triode(15W plate disp.), and he had heard some very good thing 'bout the "Full Audio" tubes. And he says(but sound is very subjective) that the 2A3 triode is "easier" on the ears then the 300B!? I've never listen to a SE-Amp with 2A3 tubes, but I've listened to a couple of 300B SE-Amps, and I get chills all over... just remembering! By the way, thanks for the explaining! Why you want to use a high- pentode, in triode-mode!
Old 3rd April 2010, 04:34 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Do you still keep some vintage tubes? Some are rare now and very expensive.
On my listenig experience between 2A3 and 300B on my single end amps, the sound of 2A3 is clear, transparent and detailed. I feel 2A3 is neutral sound without coloration. The sound of 300B is smoother, warmer and thicker than 2A3. 300B has a very full mid range and comfortable low range. This may be the main reason why lots of audiophiles love the sound of 300B. Why you got chills when listened to 300B SE amp?
High-mu penotde tubes like EF95, EF86, 6J7 are powerful enough to drive many power tubes. Pentodes are very easy drive EL84, 6V6, 6L6, EL34 tubes. If use pentode in pentode mode to drive EL84, for expample, the gain would be very high, and easy to have distortion. Therefore, we prefer connect pentode in triode mode to control gain and distortion in a proper level. On listening, EF95 in triode mode to drive EL84 single end is powerful and refined without lack of warmth.
Old 9th April 2010, 02:04 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Thomas's signature and finished date.

Old 9th April 2010, 02:21 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

The solid aluminium feet provide strong support for the amplifier.

Old 9th April 2010, 02:34 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Look at the parts and components used into this 300B amplifier.

Old 9th April 2010, 04:53 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

This is the heart of the 300B amp.

Old 9th April 2010, 05:16 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

I selected Mundorf Mcap Supreme series capacitor, 0.22uF/1200VDC as the coupling caps between input stage (12AX7) and driver stage (6SN7). Mcap Supreme caps can perform the sound with more details and clarity.

http://www.mundorf.com/english/baute...ondensator.htm

" No matter where you use the MCAP-Supreme - as a coupling capacitor in your CD player or amplifier, or in the crossover of your speakers - you always get the same surprising and impressive performance. This capacitor mobilises such unbelievable reserves in your sound system that it is really justified to speak of a new Dimension of music reproduction. Furthermore, the effect is not only achieved with very expensive high-end components. It delivers a significant enhancement in more price-conscious configurations, making it a very worthwhile upgrade."
(Review: Klang & Ton 4/98, p. 68)

" If you're serious about high end, you need to try this capacitor!"

Last edited by Musik007; 10th April 2010 at 04:46 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!