• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6JC6 triode strapped?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I found the 6JC6 tube mentioned in Peter Millett's page. This is a frame grid pentode for IF amplification. When triode strapped, it has good gain. The 3 V version 3JC6 was sold at AES at only 0.50 per unit. However, I could not find any one discussed about this tube for audio use. Can this tube be used to drive a 2A3 SET? What would be the down side?

BY

Bing Yang said:
I found the 6JC6 tube mentioned in Peter Millett's page. This is a frame grid pentode for IF amplification. When triode strapped, it has good gain. The 3 V version 3JC6 was sold at AES at only 0.50 per unit. However, I could not find any one discussed about this tube for audio use. Can this tube be used to drive a 2A3 SET? What would be the down side?

I got a bunch of those, which isn't surprising since just about every colour TV back in "the day" used them. From the characteristics, it looks like it'll make a pretty decent audio voltage amp. Don't have any data concerning trioded characteristics.

So far as using it to drive a 2A3, your best bet for that would be to use it as the CF in a Kimmel Mu Stage. Given the high Vhk rating (200V) the high g(m) (15mA/V) it would work just fine for that. Unless you're contemplating driving the 2A3 into Class AB2. For that, you'd be better off going with a MOSFET driver.

Bing Yang said:
Thanks for the reply. I actually think about using it as the driver tube together with a MOSFET CCS at anode. Will it sound good?

In a case like that, I'd prefer a CCS made from cascoded BJTs. The Pd rating for the 6JC6 is just 2500mW, and that'll mean a very small Id for that MOSFET. That'll cost you a whole bunch of g(m) there (unless you use the MOSFET as the top of a Kimmel). Without that g(m), the performance of your CCS will leave a lot to be desired.

I bought some 3JC6A from Antique Audio Supply during sale last year. I finally got around to put it together as the driver for my 2A3 SET. I connected the heater in series so that I can use the existing 6 volt filament supply. The tube is triode strapped. As I don't know the correct way to triode strap this tube, I simply copied how Marantz 5 did. I connected plate, screen, and suppressor altogether. The supply voltage is 281V. The load resistor is 20K Ohm. The cathode resistor is 100 Ohm. I tried four tubes from ECG and Zenith. They all have plate voltage from 97 - 120 V and cathode voltage from 0.8 - 0.9 V. The tube should be pretty linear at this bias point.

Compared with my previous driver, EH 6C45pi, the gain is about the same. The sound of the amp is good. I think 3JC6A actually has more ambient details. However, I cannot tell the differences without side to side comparison. I am very happy considering that this tube was on sale at 50 cents each. I also bought Sylvania brand. I have to check and see whether there is any sound difference among different brands.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.