• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Chassis Layout & PS questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm designing a stereo version of Claus Byrith's 4-30.
Because I want the most compact chassis I can have, I found that components are going to overlap.

My questions are:
Could I place the power supply boards directly underneath the output tube sockets? Can I get away with it?

Is it possible to place them underneath the OT's? Are there any side effects?

Byrith mentions that a choke must be used for a stereo, can I use 2 separate power supply circuits connected to one PT instead(with double the amperage off course) which will give me something like 2 monoblocks on just one chassis fed by only one PT?

Thanx

Could I place the power supply boards directly underneath the output tube sockets? Can I get away with it?

Depends on ventilation.

Byrith mentions that a choke must be used for a stereo, can I use 2 separate power supply circuits connected to one PT instead(with double the amperage off course) which will give me something like 2 monoblocks on just one chassis fed by only one PT?

Yes. You can also split the powersupply after the first capacitor saving some parts.

Ei:
....L-C
C<
....L-C

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
While I understand the fascination with very compact designs, and occasionally do one I don't recommend using a chassis where things are very tight for the following reasons.

* Tight spaces are very hard to work in, sharp edges results in cuts to you and insufficient space to neatly build your amplifier.

* Components tightly crammed together can lead to thermal issues and interactions not forseen due to EMI and stray capacitances.

* Cramped designs run hotter in general, shortening component life and making for an unreliable amplifier. Summers in Cairo unless totally AC are hot enough to cause component failures without excessive miniaturization.

* Never cover components like sockets, should you need to do troubleshooting vital test points will be difficult or impossible to access which if you are dogged enough can be dangerous to you and the amplifier. Shorts are more likely in this case when probing.

Building a little big is far less risky than too small, inexperienced builders sometime run into the situation that no matter what they do the amplifier they are building will not fit into the available space without major last minute changes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.