Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Balanced active crossover advice
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2007, 03:38 PM   #1
zigzagflux is offline zigzagflux  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Balanced active crossover advice

I am in process of building my next amplifier, and was heading towards a Lynn Olson Amity/Karna type. I currently run a set of ME-2 Ariels with a ST-70 and powered subwoofer.

I do not get enough midbass (100-500Hz) out of the ME-2's, and have read a number of articles (some written by Lynn) about what to do about this. Alas, not a simple solution.

My first preference is a passive linestage 6 dB filter for the ME-2's, with a separate midbass/bass driver. Attached is a possible attempt for the amplifier input.

It seems to me frequency-wise the filter would work, but if the components are not perfectly matched, which they won't be, the benefits of balanced topology are lost.

Is this a waste of time, or is it possible to get good performance if I attempt to match components? Like buy 10-20 capacitors and pick the best matches.

Better solutions?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf xover.pdf (7.7 KB, 161 views)
Old 9th April 2007, 04:47 PM   #2
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Why not move the 0.01uF capacitors to the primary, and combine them into one single series capacitor?
Old 9th April 2007, 04:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Could certainly try that, but I have read a number of cautions about attempting to cap couple to transformers. Don't have any links to those cautions in front of me, but I do remember reading it.

Maybe it was at K&K, don't know. If it's really that simple why all the fuss about the difficulties in using active crossovers? Not talking 12/18/24 dB, of course.

http://www.clarisonus.com/blog/?p=17
Old 9th April 2007, 08:51 PM   #4

Yes, there's a possibility of an LF resonance between the capacitors and the primary inductance of the transformer. The only way to be certain of how a transformer is going to behave is to set it up and measure it.
Old 10th April 2007, 12:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

So sweep the input from 1Hz to 40kHz, and check the output?

What if I find a resonant peak? Do I try damping with resistance, or return to the secondary balanced filter?

Is this considered the best approach for a passive HP filter?
Old 10th April 2007, 12:27 PM   #6

Sweep it and see what you find. I've never done this before, so I really don't know what to expect. It may be feasible, it may not. Only experiment will prove it either way.
Old 10th April 2007, 06:07 PM   #7
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Balanced active crossover advice

Quote:
Originally posted by zigzagflux
I do not get enough midbass (100-500Hz) out of the ME-2's
With an 8" baffle width, that is likely baffle step loss... lots of ways to deal with that http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/b...intro-bds.html

Given my dislike for MTM... i'd look at building a bipole...

dave

Balanced active crossover adviceHide this!Advertise here!