Help identifying a tube. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2007, 07:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help identifying a tube.

I just found a couple of NOS tubes in my dad's junk. One is an NOS RCA 6267, made in Holland.

The other has most of the labelling worn off. It is a dual triode, noval, with a shield between the triodes. I can only make out the last 2 figures of the tube designation, P8. There are some manufacturer codes too, a smudged figgure followed by U6, and on the next line, 45B2. Help?
Old 6th April 2007, 09:02 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi Leadbelly,

The 6267 appears to be the same as an EF86.

The other tube might be an ECC88 if the P could be a half-erased 8. But there are a number of similar dual triodes, not all familiar to me. If you could work out the pin connections it may help to find what it is similar to. Perhaps others can help here.
Old 7th April 2007, 12:09 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Johan. The pinout is typical noval dual triode: pin 4 & 5 to heater, pin 9 is shield. The "P" can't be an "8", the top left is pretty sharp, there is a chance it could be a "B", but it does look more like an intact "P". There is a chance that the last digit is a "6" and not an "8".
Old 7th April 2007, 12:36 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

My vote is for ECC85, 6AQ8. Pinout is right, has a shield, Philips code is tU. Tests like 12AT7, but with 6V heater.
Old 7th April 2007, 12:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I had come up with a similar conclusion. I t has to be a tube with the EIA base code 9AJ. These include the 6BC8, 6BS8, 6ES8, 6AQ8, 6BZ8, 6DJ8, 6DT8, 6JK8,6KN8,12DT8,17EW8, and a few others.

plates on pins 1 and 6
grids on pins 2 and 7
cathodes on pins 3 and 8

There aren't too many dual triodes that end in 6 or 8.
Old 7th April 2007, 02:56 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Bavis
My vote is for ECC85, 6AQ8. Pinout is right, has a shield, Philips code is tU. Tests like 12AT7, but with 6V heater.
I guess that's right. The 1st line might read as "tU5" and the 2nd line is the Heerlen triangle followed by "5B2". But it doesn't explain the "P" in the actual tube type which is the only thing clearly readable! It makes sense that it's a Philips tube, my uncle worked for them in the 70's and that's how I think they wound up in my dad's stuff
Old 7th April 2007, 03:14 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

PCC85?

Hide this!Advertise here!