• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Morgan Jones BALANCED?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just finish my Cavalli-Jones four days ago and already thinking how about go balanced?

Does anybody did balanced MJ or knows who did it?

Before I go for it I just want to know do I have to build duplicate or I can use PSU from my amp that I already have and just and tube stages?

If I have to build the hole amp again I will leave this idea alone!

Thank you for your time!

Morgan is ex-BBC so like most broadcasters was familiar with balanced. But many of us use balanced push pull for various reasons. the obvious problem is that it's twice the tubes and twice the needs of the power supply, but then it does give you some more output. I used balanced when I found that DHTs were less microphonic in balanced operation.

Your power supply will have to do more - depends on what it's rated for. If it's just running the input tubes in balanced operation that won't add much.

Eventually you end up with interstage transformers and constant current sinks all the way through. One benefit is that the shunt attenuator is easy to build - I'm personally happy with a 12 way make before break rotary switch for a stepped attenuator. Balanced makes for quite easy construction once you can manufacture your own constant current sinks. Look in Morgan Jones 3rd edition page 134 (c)

Andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.