• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6SN7 pre-amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Those Tangos seem to be really expensive, but it seems there is a need to lower the impedance.
What are you driving with this unit?
Looking at the ratio (33:1), how "light" of a similar transformer ratio will produce mariginally acceptable sound, if driving another complete amp with its own pe-amp stage or two?
I'm looking at small, old, output trafos on the order of less than a pound or two with a similar ratio. To breadboard a 6SN7 as you mention, just to experiment, would they sound ok (as interstage subs)?

jeapel said:
-tell me more about your transfo like
frequency range max. DC etc.

--> I use Tango NP-126. Please see attached its info.

-why you change 10,000uF+R+10,000uF for only 3300uF
on heaters

--> Because I just don't think I need to use it.

Attachments

• tango np-126 info.jpg
    tango np-126 info.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,636
frank754 said:
Those Tangos seem to be really expensive, but it seems there is a need to lower the impedance.
What are you driving with this unit?
Looking at the ratio (33:1), how "light" of a similar transformer ratio will produce mariginally acceptable sound, if driving another complete amp with its own pe-amp stage or two?
I'm looking at small, old, output trafos on the order of less than a pound or two with a similar ratio. To breadboard a 6SN7 as you mention, just to experiment, would they sound ok (as interstage subs)?

I use this pre-amp to drive a 300B Sun Audio amp and a 2A3 Sun Audio amp. Both amps have its own line-stage.

I use this pre-amp to drive a 300B Sun Audio amp and a 2A3 Sun Audio amp. Both amps have its own line-stage.

I would be rather concerned about using four 6SN7 sections in series (2 in the linestage, 2 in the Sun driver stage) to drive a 300B or 2A3. There is a real danger that the 6SN7 sonic fingerprint is going to overwhelm everything.

Personally, I would be looking towards constructing a single stage pre using an alternative tube. If you are adventurous, a 2C51/396A or 407A/407B (much cheaper) should work very well with your transformer. I have been very impressed messing round with these tubes in a 15k:600 parafeed arrangement.

pm

mach1 said:

I would be rather concerned about using four 6SN7 sections in series (2 in the linestage, 2 in the Sun driver stage) to drive a 300B or 2A3. There is a real danger that the 6SN7 sonic fingerprint is going to overwhelm everything.

Personally, I would be looking towards constructing a single stage pre using an alternative tube. If you are adventurous, a 2C51/396A or 407A/407B (much cheaper) should work very well with your transformer. I have been very impressed messing round with these tubes in a 15k:600 parafeed arrangement.

pm

Thanks for your advice.

My next project is the ultrapath pre-amp and after that is a pre-amp using 45 tubes.

OK, another maybe stupid question.
What about using the 6SN7 as a combination voltage amp and cathode follower, then another done up the same way as a second stage, and skipping the interstage trafo altogether, just using a DC blocker cap for output, and possibly a tone stack between the two, or at the end?
Similar to what many guitar amps did with 12AX7's, only an octal version of the same idea?

frank: Well, clearly the goals are different here than a stage that simply amplifies- the operating points and topology are more akin to a signal processing device than a straight gain stage. Your suggestion is entirely appropriate for a line stage designed to minimally impact the sound.

Andersen said:
I've just completed my pre-amp following the schematics that I posted with some changes as attached (note: I have not used any cathode capacitors). I'm quite satisfied with the results except that the bass is a bit hard and I need to make it softer.
During building this, I noted that the lower the B+ and the anode voltage at 1st stage (Va1) were, the more satisfied results I got. However, I stopped at B+ = 220V and Va1 = 95V and dare not to lower them. Can you guys please advise me what I need to do now e.g. keep/lower B+, keep/lower Va1, increase/decrease the value of cathod resistors and etc. One more question: what are the most appropriate voltages at cathods at each stage.

Thanks a lot.

Hello Andersen!

I am interested in this topic very much. My 300B SE amp copied Sunaudio schematic. I manage to assemble preampli by Tango NP126. I hope that I could see and listen to your system because I am also a fan of Altec. Please contact me by lg2y of YM.
Thanks a lot!

ocha said:

Hello Andersen!

I am interested in this topic very much. My 300B SE amp copied Sunaudio schematic. I manage to assemble preampli by Tango NP126. I hope that I could see and listen to your system because I am also a fan of Altec. Please contact me by lg2y of YM.
Thanks a lot!

Hello ocha

You're welcome. I live in HCMC and do not use YM. You can email via hvdinh@hcm.vnn.vn.

Can you share your pre schematics and what is the progress so far?

Hello

I've just got a few questions relating to the attached schematics. Can anyone tell me the difference between using 0.22uf/630V capacitors and 0.47uf/630V ones in the position of 1uf/630V, and can I use 100uf/16V in the position of 470uf/25V, which one is better?

Thanks a lot.
Andersen

Attachments

• pre_6sn7_5.jpg
    pre_6sn7_5.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 2,254
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Andersen,

this circuit is a SRPP design. You can find general information about this kind of circuit here and even more infos in this article from the same author.

To answer your question for the 100uf it should not modify too much the behavior but i'm not sure about V rating, 16V should be ok but 25V is specified on schematic so better to stand with it.

For the 1uf it's a different problem as SRPP is designed with a defined load Z at target and changing this cap with a different load Z than the one specified for this circuit can alter the BW. EG: 0,47uf with 10k load is about 34hz.

Beware your heater must be 'elevated' at some 60v or so (depend on your B+) for the circuit to behave correctly (see anode to heater limit in tube datasheet).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.