I meet Mr. Morgan Jones - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2007, 07:26 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Sy,

Sounds like you two had some fun. I was blessed by Mr. Jone`s presence about a year ago at my humble residence and laboratory about a year ago while he was visiting in Ontario. I did not miss the opportunity to get him to sign a copy of his book. We did not manage to release any smoke during his visit. Not enough time during the short show, play and tell.

I do recall that Morgan was clearly dissapointed in my attitude that I had no desire to take my tube audiophile system to the further level of refinement known as bi-amping. I have been trying to do full range with low power SET and AFAIC have achieved a level of performance which is good enough. I did at least get a thumbs up for my unique high efficiency, full range speaker design. I wish the amplifier in my avatar had been built at the time of his visit.

Triodes often sound better when biased hotter. Did the Crystal Palace amplifier performance track this trend during your experiment?
Old 2nd April 2007, 07:36 AM   #12
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

No, quite the opposite; the sound was not quite as sweet as the last time I'd heard the amp (a bit of roughness on leading edges), but it did seem to improve over the course of the evening, possibly due to the ethanol application. He thinks that the plate redness had to do with an itinerant oscillation, but the thought of lugging 120 lbs of amplifier upstairs to the lab was daunting. It certainly left the room rather toasty. The eye redness was purely due to the Glenmorangie.

We had a long debate about multiamplification. We both do it, but I feel that it's unnecessary for midrange-to-tweeter transitions, at least for modern, well-damped tweeters.
Old 2nd April 2007, 02:59 PM   #13
7N7 is offline 7N7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Much of the foregoing certainly rings a sadly all-too-distant bell!
Old 2nd April 2007, 03:41 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Sounds like big fun. I'd like to ask what Terman book(s) you guys are referring to. there is more than one plausible title that I saw on Amazon. I'm always looking for new references to go with RDH and Jones.

TIA, EZ
Old 2nd April 2007, 04:18 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I have a copy of Terman`s `Fundamentals of Radio` McGraw Hill, 1938. An inheritance from my father`s university days. I followed the advice given in regards to spacing of a resonant coil structure contained within a metallic shield can in a 200 gallon, oil filled high voltage resonator going through an enormous amount of work and expense for a commercial client a decade or so ago and the design flopped miserably due to interaction with the can. Still, Terman was one of Stanford`s better ideas within a corrupt EE Department that owes me a lot of $$$$$ from an attitude of entitlement during a deal, large for me, gone sour.

Beware!
Old 3rd April 2007, 03:35 PM   #16
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by EZ_Angus
Sounds like big fun. I'd like to ask what Terman book(s) you guys are referring to. there is more than one plausible title that I saw on Amazon. I'm always looking for new references to go with RDH and Jones.

TIA, EZ
It was big fun indeed. As a rule, I find it difficult to work with others in a lab setting, but we managed to do it efficiently and well, despite the, ahem, mishaps and general alcoholic haze.

"Radio Engineering" is a classic, highly recommended.
Old 3rd April 2007, 04:50 PM   #17
jlsem is offline jlsem  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have several extra copies of textbooks from that series that I can post for sale this weekend if anyone is interested.

John
Old 3rd April 2007, 05:15 PM   #18
diyAudio Moderator

Interested, yes!
Old 3rd April 2007, 06:53 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

me 2, me 2
Old 3rd April 2007, 11:27 PM   #20
poobah is offline poobah  United States
diyAudio Member

I would have to hope that no current probes died in the making of that story...

Hide this!Advertise here!