• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL84 SE auto bias

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thats a weird glich, no wonder no one was responding......

okay, well I am currently constructing an EL84 SE amplifier, and I am using an LM317 as a CCS for biasing each tube (one LM317 per channel) and I wanted to know what would happen if I didn't bypass them with capacitors, I have seen several CCS bias designs that do not use bypass capacitors (none of them SE), and I wanted to know what the DIY Audio community thought.

-Moose

The design I am making is this

EL84_SE_ECC81.gif

I have mostly seen non-bypassed designs on Push-pull stuff, but I did not know if it would carry over, here are some designs that do not include it

http://www.diyparadise.com/buildel84b.html

attachment.php

and

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72536&highlight=baby+huey

In the case of Baby-Huey:
On general schematic is drawn a "bias block". On the second page we notice the bias block in detail. It has the actual CCS (the 2 tranzistors + rezistors) and the bypass capacitors (4700uF+470uF+1uF) parallel for good frequence response. This is a good practice.

In your case you have to bypass the LM317 based CCS in a similar way

I have just built a El84SE using an LM317 in lieu of the cathode bias resistor.
The voltages are correct, but the amp is mute...any idea?:hot:
Pin 1(adj) is grounded; 23.2 ohms from Pin 2 (Vout) to ground; Pin 3(Vin) is tied to the El84 cathode.
I have read in this thread that the LM317 needed to be bypassed, what is the cap value and do I connect it from Vin (pin 3) to ground?

Your help is much appreciated.

kooltubes said:
I have just built a El84SE using an LM317 in lieu of the cathode bias resistor.
The voltages are correct, but the amp is mute...any idea?:hot:
Pin 1(adj) is grounded; 23.2 ohms from Pin 2 (Vout) to ground; Pin 3(Vin) is tied to the El84 cathode.
I have read in this thread that the LM317 needed to be bypassed, what is the cap value and do I connect it from Vin (pin 3) to ground?

Your help is much appreciated.

Your ccs is correct, you also have 50ma .As to the bypass caps. U can try it out any value from 47 -470 . U may also want to try higher current, its sound sweeter. Try 12R its tasty.
:hot:

Thanks SINGLEENDED.

Amp works fine. I have used different cap values but 100mf sounds better to my ears.
I have also added 22mf betwwen Vout (pin 2) to ground, the soundstage seems to be scaled down.

I am confused about your suggestions to run the El84 at 104ma using a 12R resistor:bigeyes:

kooltubes said:
Thanks SINGLEENDED.

Amp works fine. I have used different cap values but 100mf sounds better to my ears.
I have also added 22mf betwwen Vout (pin 2) to ground, the soundstage seems to be scaled down.

I am confused about your suggestions to run the El84 at 104ma using a 12R resistor:bigeyes:

When u feed more current . First the vocal sound thicker. Than u have better soundstage. Get rid of the 22mf in pin 2 not required it will create different sound, best if we do not use caps at all but cant help it as we need it here & there .I have tried it with value from 65 - 100ma and i think it sound best at 100ma.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.