What's a 6SL7 Good For? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2007, 11:57 AM   #11
nkg is offline nkg  Australia
diyAudio Member

Just curious the the triode strapped EL34 on the anglea site which uses 6SL7's conected in parallel is not worth building ?
Nigel
Old 26th March 2007, 02:26 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
Generally, a different type is more suitable for CF. The 6SL7 types don't swing much current and have a rather low transconductance.
True - but since the 6SL7 is essentially a 12AX7 (or more accurately, a 5751) in an octal bottle, it can be used under certain circumstances. Heck, look at all the Fisher amps that use 12AX7s to drive the output section.

Me? I'm with Sy, I think it's not well suited to be a driver, but that's not to say it can't be done - because it has been done.
Old 26th March 2007, 04:32 PM   #13
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Funny I've used them for years to drive 45s and 2A3's in SRPP configuration and no complaints so far. I run them off of approximately 320V @ 2mA.

Bandwidth last time I checked was at least 80kHz into the miller capacitance of a typical 45 dht..

I doubt that they would have much trouble driving a triode connected EL34 either.

Perhaps they aren't the most logical choice, but in SRPP they do the job very well and sound as good as any competing topology/tube type I've yet to try.

Look at my site for an example amplifier that uses this driver stage (45 dht amp) - it was good enough to convert me from high powered pushpull amplifiers to SE.

edit
Old 26th March 2007, 05:04 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Well, this is more encouraging as I was a little stumped what to do with the 30 of them I was just given.
Old 26th March 2007, 05:21 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinkr
Funny I've used them for years to drive 45s and 2A3's in SRPP configuration and no complaints so far. I run them off of approximately 320V @ 2mA.

Bandwidth last time I checked was at least 80kHz into the miller capacitance of a typical 45 dht..

I doubt that they would have much trouble driving a triode connected EL34 either.

Perhaps they aren't the most logical choice, but in SRPP they do the job very well and sound as good as any competing topology/tube type I've yet to try.

Look at my site for an example amplifier that uses this driver stage (45 dht amp) - it was good enough to convert me from high powered pushpull amplifiers to SE.

edit
Hey, I am currently constructing one of your phono stage designs, should I swap out the 12ax7s for 6sl7s?
Old 26th March 2007, 05:45 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
You may use it instead of 6N2P in this splitter, instead of 6N1P use 6SN7:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 26th March 2007, 08:00 PM   #17
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by alexmoose

Hey, I am currently constructing one of your phono stage designs, should I swap out the 12ax7s for 6sl7s?

Hi Alex,
No I wouldn't swap, RP and a few other things are sufficiently different that the result would be eq errors.
Old 27th March 2007, 12:11 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Okay, I just love octals, and I hate novals, but they are a nessicary evil
Old 27th March 2007, 07:45 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default 6SL7

Hi dsavitsk !

I´m sure that a lot of guys think that you are lucky!

However, I don´t know if my suggestion will be a little too easy for you, but look at the link below - it is John Broskies Aikido construction. It is possible to use a lot of different tubes (8-pin + 9-pin tubes) and you can choose from mono boards or a stereo board.

If you do not want to biuld an Aikido amplifier the link will hopefully supply some general (and valuable?) information.

In the link an example is given with the 6SL7 as an input tube and a 6SN7 as output tube. Together with the tubes all necessary values for resistors, capacitors etc. are suggested.

http://www.tubecad.com/Octal_Aikido_PCB.pdf

Kind regards

Karsten
Old 27th March 2007, 08:05 AM   #20
panos29 is offline panos29  Greece
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to panos29 Send a message via Yahoo to panos29
6SL7 is a great sounding tube! It can also be used as driver for EL34, EL84, etc.

A very nice design with truly exceptional sound is the following, by Steve Bench.
http://members.aol.com/sbench102/PowerAmps/e34lamp.gif

I wish I had some NOS pairs, but unfortunately these are becoming more and more scarce...lucky you!

Hide this!Advertise here!