• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Difference between stereo & 2 monoblocks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
My approach is always to use a single stereo chassis wherever possible. I know there are some advantages associated with the monobloc approach, like making each chassis lighter (sometimes necessary with higher power amps) and allowing each monobloc to be located close to its own speaker (possibly a consideration if the distances involved are significant). Other supposed benefits, like the electrical separation of channels to reduce cross-talk, are trivial or non-existent, IMHO.

I also consider building the power supply on a separate chassis and using an 'umbilical' cord to be unnecessary and potentially dangerous, unless you actually need a separate general-purpose 'bench' PSU for testing purposes.

Before you go stereo, just keep in mind that it's a LOT easier to derate power transformers and chokes for half the current load in a monoblock configuration. You get a lot more dynamic headroom without having to get custom transformers made, and in general you get a lot more real estate to use things like motor run caps etc. If you decide to switch to bigger tubes, it will be a lot easier because you will have built a rock solid platform for higher power. Finally, it's hard to beat the pure badassery of some tube monoblocks. Enough said. It's your call.

EDIT: What kind of amp are you planning to build? Output tubes? Schematic? If the tubes are somewhat small like the EL84, 6V6, or even SE types, stereo becomes more of a pain. I envision monoblocks as only making sense with higher powered amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.