differences between K-12M and K-12G kits? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2007, 06:42 PM   #1
mnr102 is offline mnr102  United States
diyAudio Member

Default differences between K-12M and K-12G kits?

Hello,
There are 2 nice pages listing mods & upgrades that can be done to the K-12M amplifier kit. S-5 Electronics is currently shipping a kit called the K-12G. Does anyone know what the differences are?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 21st March 2007, 07:52 PM   #2
gofar99 is offline gofar99  United States
diyAudio Member

Greetings, The main difference is the tubes. There are two different type numbers however the performance is equal. There are a few diferences between early kits and late kits though. Some early ones may still be for sale from various venders. They are mostly the G version. I believe all M series and most late model G kits have ceramic tube sockets. The early ones were subject to heat damage. There is a slight change in the feedback in late model ones (a small cap to limit HF response above the audio range and help stability). Otherwise the kits are the same (as well as the K502 from some venders).

Good listening
gofar99
Old 2nd April 2007, 06:43 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi, is there any new modification on these kits
Old 2nd April 2007, 03:27 PM   #4
mnr102 is offline mnr102  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like then that I can apply most or all of the mods listed on various pages, like VoltSecond.
Old 2nd April 2007, 04:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

While I'm hardly an expert on the subject, I built one of these as my first entry into tubes. It's a nice kit, and the mods on voltsecond's page are of benefit.

I have the "G" kit with 10BM8 tubes. These are also usable with 11MS8 tubes. Pretty happy with it. But it did get me hooked on tubes and bigger amps. Sigh....

Oh yeah... the K12"G" (mine) has ceramic sockets. And it does get HOT! I got mine for $149 plus shipping.

Marc
Old 2nd April 2007, 09:04 PM   #6
gofar99 is offline gofar99  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi, Yes they do get a bit warm. I was initially concerned with the power trannie too and contacted S-5 about them. They said it was normal. And I guess it is so, for mine has been singing along for nearly a year now. As for more power, it might be nice, but please try to keep in mind that twice the power is not twice as loud. Its logarithmetic. My K-12 plays nearly as loud as my chip amp and has much nicer overload response.

Good listening
gofar99

Hide this!Advertise here!