• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Can I replace the 1M volume pot with a 100K one in my HK A300?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a HK A300. The circuit is very traditional. I modified it to bypass tone control and balance. Since the old 1M volume pot was not well balanced after cleaning, I replaced it with a 100K cheap volume pot. It worked for a while but shorted out one day. The volume was loud even at the lowest dial.

This volume pot is between the selector switch and the 12AX7 input amplifier. I did add a 500K grid resistor to the ground and hoping that it will compensate the smaller value pot. I also listened only CDs.

After I learned more and obtained a record player, I rebuilt the phono stage. The phono section was a very simple two stage 12AX7 with feedback. Then I found out that I need a 1M pot to match the impedance. So I put the pot back and suffer the balance problem.

My questions are:

1. Can I replace the pot with 100K if I only listen to CD? Could it be possible that my cheap pot was destroyed because a 100K pot cannot be used in front of a 12AX7? I do have a blue 100K ALPS pot that is quite expensive. I would prefer to use it instead of buying a new 1M pot. They are difficult to find.

2. If the first answer is yes, can I add a MOSFET follower right after my phono preamp 12AX7 output and before the output capacitor? This should lower the output impedance so that I can use the 100K pot. Is it true?

3. Since the phono section gain is low, I can also use the empty tube space for tone control to add a one tube gain stage with low plate resistor value. This will give more gain and lower output impedance. I think a simple 12AU7 should do the job. Any suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.